IMA light, 2010 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
new

Default IMA light, 2010

Hi fellow Insight owners!

I'm glad to be a part of this forum, as well! I have a 2010 Insight, 140K, bought it almost a year ago, and the IMA light and check engine light also came on. What is the software update? If the battery will need to be changed, is a refurbished battery a good option?

I am obviously mileage wise way past the warranty of 100K.

I to am reaching out to the community to hear your thoughts. What is the grid charger?
I am a neophyte and unfortunately, I need simple explanations.

Thanks again for reading, and I appreciate the help!
-New
new is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

new:

Welcome to the forum, this is the place to get good advice from experienced owners of Insights. Sorry to hear of your troubles. I am certain a gen 2 owner who has encountered your issue will weigh in with some good suggestions.

Since your Insight is a 2010 Gen 2, I moved your post (and named a new thread for you) from the Gen 1 section to this Gen 2 troubleshooting and problems forum.

A couple quick suggestions: Consider updating your profile with your general location, there may be an Insighter near you willing to lend a hand. Try to determine which digital trouble code (DTC) the car has set; without the code, it's pretty much guess work. Often, autozone and the such will read codes for no cost.

Good luck and happy Insighting

Mountain driver
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA, currently "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go

Last edited by Mountain driver; 02-04-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2017, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
new

Thx for your suggestions; I will update the Insight's current location to see if there's a local Insighter who can help. Autozone did read the code, & the printout they gave me said: error codeP0A7F--Battery Module Deterioration.

Let me know your thoughts now that you have this additional piece of information.

Thx for ur help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2017, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

There are definitely Insighters in your region, but I'm not sure of G2 owners.

Since I'm a G1 guy, I can't speak to your code with any experience.

I would wonder if there's a "sub-code" associated with the one you posted. For example: On a G1, a P1449 (battery module deterioration) there are 4 sub-codes, each with their own source of trouble.

Hopefully a G2 knowledgeable member will weigh in with some suggestions. I am tempted to suggest "blinking" out the codes, but I am not sure if the method we use on a G1 will work on the G2.

G2 folk? Does Mike D's jumper method on the obd port work the same on G2's ?
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
new

Thanks for ur response, appreciate help.

However, from other posts I have read, I understand that the software update will only prolong the battery life, which leads me to conclude that I am going to have to get a new IMA battery eventually because the battery is deteriorating. Please let me know if my conclusion is correct.

FYI, the car is in Provo, UT, so I called the Ken Garff dealership in UT, talked to them about the free software update and the extension of the IMA battery warranty to 150K. The service person knew about both matters but said that we would first have to do the software update. After that was done, if the IMA light came back on, he said that because the car was not a PZEV car & it was not registered in a CARB state, e.g. California, that the warranty extension did not apply but that he would reach out to Honda to see if they would do a "good will" gesture and possibly replace the failing battery (if that is the case). I asked him if there was any way to test the IMA battery. He said that other than the OBD (on board diagnostics) there was no other way to test whether the IMA battery was bad.....I also told him that I had been told that a failing 12 v battery would cause these codes to appear. He said that in his experience, he had never seen that happen (I don't think he has enough experience to comment about the 12 v battery but I wanted him to load test it (I had it load tested previously by another mechanic), so I brought it up). But I do know that the dealership works on cars from all over the country because the university in that area brings students from all over the country, who bring their cars with them. He did tell me he had gotten an IMA battery replaced under warranty for a student with his car registered in California, and Honda Corp. had insisted that the student show that the car was registered in California.

He also mentioned that in addition to the recall to update the software, that there were 2 other recalls for the Insight: for the molding (it can fly off and needs to be replaced with a different type that doesn't fly off) and the Takata air bag replacement.

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing the same problems.

Last question, is Eli a member of this forum, and does he sell refurbished IMA batteries?

Thx in advance for your responses and "insights" (pun intended!)
Old 02-07-2017, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Last question, is Eli a member of this forum, and does he sell refurbished IMA batteries?
Yes. Eli is a valued member here. Call him at 888-968-5005 and he will tell you what is available. https://bumblebeebatteries.com/

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sounds like you found a good dealer. Be not afraid of the software update. For all you know it may have already been done. What state is the Insight registered in right now? Arizona? I think AZ was a CARB state in 2010. So you could make that argument. Or perhaps you need to contract a friend in CA and get your Insight registered there. Might be cheaper than even a Bumblebee replacement.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in