Disabling SatNav/GPS - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2017, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Disabling SatNav/GPS

I have a Honda Insight with and inbuilt GPS/SATNAV system. I want to disable this so that it no longer automatically/continuously scans + picks up the satellite signals. Can this be done? if so how easy/difficult is it. At the moment I have been quoted that it will be 1 hour's labour, which is expensive, and that they cannot guarantee it will stop picking up the satellite signals. Ideally I want to keep the radio connection but I do not want to have the signal continuously updating - even when I don't need to use the SatNav.
slovegrove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Start by telling us what country you are in as the NAV units vary.

Then tell us why this is important to you.

My first thought is just disconnecting the SAT antenna. Of course the unit may still be able, under certain conditions, to still find signal. That's probably why they cannot give you any guarantees. I think sat antenna is integrated with the radio one on the roof. Can you access online parts diagrams?

Perhaps you could just cover the Insight with tin foil? (Sorry I couldn't resist)
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Disabling sat nav/gps

Hi - thanks for that egads.

I am in the UK and its a 2009 Insight. Its important as, judging by your final comment as you guessed, it is because of wanting to stop exposure to constant electromagnetic field which is very strong with no way to turn it off. I can use my mobile instead - which also strong EMF but I can use it only when I really have to for satnav.

I am not sure I would know what to do if I could access parts diagrams. The satnav manual has no specifics in it - just says the unit is under the dashboard, but nothing more specific.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Um, you know the satnav isn't broadcasting anything, right? It's only receiving signals already being broadcast. Disconnecting the antenna to "stop exposure to strong electromagnetic field" is maximum nonsense. Your cell phone actually does broadcast, and the signal strength reaching you from it is going to be much stronger than ambient GPS sat signals to boot.

This is just silly.

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default disabling satnav

samwische

I have a machine that tests for emf from mobile phone masts, wifi etc. When I turn the engine on it makes a very loud noise that goes in long pulses. Do you know what this might be?
Old 03-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

On the Insight? Could be the massive system of cycling electromagnets under the hood called the IMA motor. Or the coil packs. Or leakage from the electronics compartment behind the seats? Lots of stuff going on back there.

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 11:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

It is indeed a massive electric charging, storing, and transmitting system. I doubt any hybrid or pure electric vehicle will be acceptable to you if you have emf sensitivity. Sam is right, satellites are beaming signals to earth constantly. There is no escape.

You might try using your meter in a non NAV equipped Insight to confirm that the emf is, as we think, from the IMA system. In fact you could pull all the fuses powering the NAV and test your own car that way.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in