Flat battery, indicators stuck on & no ignition... - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Flat battery, indicators stuck on & no ignition...

Hi Guys, I'm hoping for a little knowledgeable help.

My Dad has a 2010 Honda Insight, (bought on my recommendation, as a CR-Z owner). He called me today, asking if I could help...
He last used the Insight on Friday, (two days ago), and went to start the car today, only to find it completely dead. He had to open the car manually, with the key, but had no lights, no nothing...
He tried putting his battery charger on, but the charger wouldn't recognise having a battery connected, so I called my son to go over and help him charge the battery via jump cables. (I live about 4 hours away).
My son connected the jump cables, then started his car, and left it charging the Insight for about 20 minutes before attempting anything. - After 20 minutes, he turned on the ignition, and the front and rear indicators, (turn signals), are stuck on, and the car has no interior lights, or dashboard lights...
At a guess, I'd say the 12v battery could do with replacing, but there must be more to it, as they can't get any ignition lights or interior lights. Is there likely to be a fuse that could cause this? - If so, any idea which one?
The same symptoms are present now, regardless whether the car is connected via jump leads, or not...

Thanks in advance for any help.
MattHarwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Replace the 12V and re-assess. It is clearly an issue. You can't properly diagnose anything with a bad 12V even with a jumpered battery attached.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2017, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

I do agree, but with no interior light on, (Obviously, the four 21w indicator bulbs stuck on require a lot more electrical current than a 5w interior light), and no ignition lights, there appears to be an underlying issue of some sort, and as a stab-in-the-dark guess, I'm guessing/hoping it could simply be a blown fuse...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

It's the 12V, a common problem on the G2. Just replace it.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well, I've told my son to go and get a new battery tomorrow. Hopefully, that'll fix it, but I have a bad feeling that as soon as the new battery is fitted, the indicators will come back on, and I'll be back at square one. - I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I just can't get to grips with how the car has enough power to light up 4, 21w bulbs, and keep them on, but cannot find the power to illuminate the little 5w interior light bulb.
I've seen my CR-Z with a flat battery before, and I get all sorts of warning messages, or the dash would rapidly flicker on and off, but never anything as weird as stuck indicator lights and absolutely nothing else...

It's so frustrating trying to diagnose a problem remotely. Especially when my Dad and son, have very few tools, and extremely little electrical knowledge between them.
Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well, I'm not a G2 guy, but I've read MANY posts about all kinds of weirdness when a G2 12V battery dies. I'm going to guess that the interior lights are controlled by a computer that is not booted up due to the low voltage.

Don't lose any sleep. When he installs the new battery it will all return to normal.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2017, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHarwood View Post
Well, I've told my son to go and get a new battery tomorrow. Hopefully, that'll fix it, but I have a bad feeling that as soon as the new battery is fitted, the indicators will come back on, and I'll be back at square one. - I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I just can't get to grips with how the car has enough power to light up 4, 21w bulbs, and keep them on, but cannot find the power to illuminate the little 5w interior light bulb.
I've seen my CR-Z with a flat battery before, and I get all sorts of warning messages, or the dash would rapidly flicker on and off, but never anything as weird as stuck indicator lights and absolutely nothing else...

It's so frustrating trying to diagnose a problem remotely. Especially when my Dad and son, have very few tools, and extremely little electrical knowledge between them.
Buy one with a warranty so if it goes bad quick you can just get a free replacement. EX: walmart(everstart),interstate,duracell
KJSTRIPE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2017, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHarwood View Post

At worst, you will be at square 2 as you will have fixed a known problem.

S Keith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2017, 01:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

The blinker might be the immobilizer working hard as F... mine went nuts when I tried to manually opened the door and turn the key. Every single one of the electrons were sent to the blinkers and tries to power them on. If you let that sit for a while it's just gonna flick like a strobe like but very faint. Not sure if this is your case since you said they're stuck at on...(or maybe it's blinking and they described as stuck on?) anyhow, I hooked it up with a truck and it worked like a charm, the moment they are confected, everything lit up like a Christmas tree and the honks starts going off as it supposed be when immobilize system is engaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sadly, it appears my instincts were correct. My son bought a new battery today, fitted it, and it's worse than yesterday. Now, the car is completely dead. He removed the battery from his car, swapped them around, and found that the new battery started his car straight away, but on the Insight, nothing. No lights whatsoever.
I'm still convinced it's going to be something silly, like a fuse, but without being there, I'm at a loss... Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in