2011 honda insight p1448 code - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2017, 08:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2011 honda insight p1448 code

Hello, this is my first post and ive only had this car for 3 days. The check engine light came on so i ran the code reader and it gave me a p1448 battery overheating message. Shortly after the IMA warning light came on. I did some googling and it said this issue is usually caused by the fan malfunctioning and all 3 temperature sensors are going off at the same time. So my question is can i flip that big switch on the IMA battery in my trunk to off to protect my battery till i can trouble shoot the fan? Will it drain my 12 volt if i do this? Also, will a overheating battery trigger the IMA light?
Thanks in advance.
KarateSparkle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

The battery should be isolated by the computer at this point. It will also cause your IMA light to come on.

To manage the temperature of the motor power inverter (MPI) module, the DC-DC converter, and the battery module, the integrated motor assist (IMA) system is equipped with an intelligent power unit (IPU) module fan. When a malfunction occurs in the IPU module fan, the motor assist is unable to regenerate and the IMA system is shut down because the module temperature increases. A malfunction in the IPU module fan is detected to avoid problems caused by overheating. If the IPU module fan is functioning normally, when the MCM operates the IPU module fan, it should be operated within a specified speed range. The MCM compares the actual IPU module fan speed to the IPU module fan duty cycle, and if the actual speed does not reach a specified value, the MCM detects a malfunction and stores a DTC.

To test the system:

Reset the MCM. (Disconnect the 12 V battery terminal once and reconnect it.)
Start the engine, and hold the engine speed to between 3,500 - 4,000 rpm (in P or N).
Confirm that the air is flowing from the IPU module fan duct.
Hella 2.0 Low Beam
LED Everywhere Else
Kenwood Double Din DVD
Rockford Fosgate 6.75" Speakers
65.3 mpg
Ta2dResqr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2017, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for getting back to me Ta2dResqr, i disconnected the 12 volt, reconnected it then ran it at 3500rpms and listened for the fan to kick in. I didn't hear anything. Is the fan really quiet? Do i need to expose it? As in pull the plastic cover off to hear it better?
KarateSparkle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2017, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateSparkle View Post
Thanks for getting back to me Ta2dResqr, i disconnected the 12 volt, reconnected it then ran it at 3500rpms and listened for the fan to kick in. I didn't hear anything. Is the fan really quiet? Do i need to expose it? As in pull the plastic cover off to hear it better?
Check DTC in the Service Manual page 12-137. (https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...nuals-pdf.html)
You can hear the fan at idle in P mode transmission when you increase the revs to 2500 revs/min, the motor will begin to charge the battery (charge mode). Clear DTC and do charge mode, if DTC p1448 appears again, the reason for a faulty fan.
Exploitation of hybrid with a faulty fan can cause damage to the battery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telegram:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gms24ru; 05-27-2017 at 09:14 AM.
gms24ru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in