Jerky starts during acceleration - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jerky starts during acceleration

Take offs are slightly jerky when accelerating from a stop. Mostly noticeable when slowly accelerating. IMA battery seems fully charged, CVT fluid seems at proper level and engine is running great. is this just a trait of the IMA or something normal?

(I am sure that this has been posted before, but could not find it, apologies and Thanks!)
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

its normal ... fresh tranny fluid and filter smooth it out a bit but its characteristic of the automated clutch and cvt ... give it easy throttle input off the line - like driving a 3 pedal clutch car - b4 you punch it and youll get better results

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbesq View Post
its normal ... fresh tranny fluid and filter smooth it out a bit but its characteristic of the automated clutch and cvt ... give it easy throttle input off the line - like driving a 3 pedal clutch car - b4 you punch it and youll get better results
Supposedly she just had the CVT fluid and filter changed, CPO car. Yeppers, I am gentle on the throttle, trying to grow as many leaves as possible. It is mostly noticeable at slower take-offs. Its liveable.
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2017, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

That jerk is is made worse because of autostop. Itís one of the reasons I either shut off the eco or run it in S driving from signal to signal or stop sign to stop sign. I canít remember what year yours is, but for all 2010 and most 2011 model years there were software updates that made this much better. You could take it back to the selling dealer and ask to have it connected to the Honda computer in the service area. Tell them you want ALL the software updates.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

yea, autostop doesnt help either ... i usually pause in between letting my foot off the brake and on the gas so the car can "catch up"

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2017, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

All Honda automatics have a hesitation when reversing directions. Like backing out of a parking space. When you shift to D, it takes a beat or two to engage. The Insight just does it after autostop as well. One of the situations I experience the jerk most often is almost coming to a stop making a right turn. The Insight almost auto stops, then jerks back into gear.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2017, 12:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Actually all automatics will have this delay that have auto-stop. When you come to a stop and the engine shuts off, the fluid pressure in the lines drop, then when the engine restarts you get a second or two before the lines pressurize again. The CVT I owned in the past would be fine if I waited a second or two after the engine fired before trying to take off.

~The weirdest fur you will ever meet O.o rwar!
Balto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2017, 01:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

This is a super frustrating aspect of the Honda IMA system. We had a Civic hybrid (same powertrain) which did the same thing. I always got the impression that bc the electric motor and the ICE are both trying to add propulsion, the software doesn't know who is leading the dance and keeps going back and forth.

Indeed the easiest way I have found to get around it is to put it in S mode while in the city and D mode while on the freeway.
Bmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

In the worst case, this may be a malfunctioning start clutch. It is usually caused by a CVT fluid changed too late. A replacement start clutch is around $1000.
You may want to check out this topic: https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...ch-judder.html
Surmoka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Super helpful thread! Iíve had this same problem.

When in Eco Mode, and stopping at stop signs, it seems to help smooth things out when you step on the gas faster than normal.

It seems to jerk heaviest when I let off the accelerator completely, then step on the accelerator again.
NE10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in