IMA issues/opinions - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2018, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default IMA issues/opinions

Just picked up a 2010 Insight LX last week and I LOVE IT! It has 160k on the odometer. This week it's been averaging 46-48 mpg in eco mode and driving very conservatively.

The other night on the way home, having it at very easy throttle accelerating slightly uphill for a mile or two in eco mode, it used all its battery, and went into a charge mode. After charging for another couple miles it seemed like it kicked off the battery (I'm assuming a overtemp issue). When it kicked on, it gave an IMA and check engine light.

When I got home and restarted the IMA was off but the check engine was still on. The assist and charge went back to how it was before.

I read the code, and it threw a P0A7F code, which seems to be a deteriorating battery pack. Definitely a bummer as I've had it for a week. I cleared the code to see if it would come back on.

Today I drove it 170 miles In normal mode and the light never came on. Three times on the drive however, it seemed like it went into a charging mode because the battery ran out. I'm not familiar with the car so is this normal? My mpg stayed about 45 mph. I drive very conservatively.

Let's assume the battery is on its way out.What are my options? It doesn't seem like there are many batteries available yet. I am also very comfortable around high voltage(maintenance tech) and wonder if the savings would justify my doing the work myself. The car is financed, so I've got to try to keep it as economical as possible.

Next week it's going in for the airbag recall and software update.

Any advice would be appreciated.
wheelhorse2347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2018, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Also, upon some reading I see that this issue may be resolved partially by the software update, and a full discharge/Recharge to erase the memory effect on the battery
Old 03-11-2018, 01:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Yes, get the software updates. There should be 3 software updates for the car.

Call a Honda stealership and ask them if they can check your VIN for any recalls. They will probably tell you roof moulding, IMA software, and Takata airbags. Bring it in, and ask the service advisor specifically about having them check the IMA system for any software updates, and if there are any, to apply them.

One of the updates is a recall update and they have to do it for free. The other two updates, most users here (including myself) seem to have been able to convince the service guys to apply the other two optional IMA software updates for free. You really want all 3 of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yep, I have an appointment Wednesday for the airbag recall and the ima recall update. Do you have the update # for the other two updates.

What I wonder, will the updated battery management system be able to repair any battery memory, or will I have to get a grid charger/discharger to fix that?

Also, when driving normally on moderately flat roads, how often do good batteries go into "battery low force chargng"? In normal circumstances I imagine the new software would manage the charge more moderately
Old 03-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

keep driving the hell out of it ... sometimes the battery gets lazy and sleepy if it sat for awhile b4 u bought it ... it might come back after a spell of regular use ... and there are plenty of options for replacement batteries if needed - dorman, ampedhybrid, and bumble bee .... i saw a youtube video of the swap and it doesnt look too hard at all ... b aware that a faulty 12v battery can make gremlins appear so if its on its way out just change the damn thing ... u can upgrade to a 51r which is more robust and has greater longevity ... best

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

I had the dealer replace the 12v as a condition of purchase. It did sit I think for almost a year before I bought. Should I be driving it more aggressively in normal mode to do big charge/assists to revitalize the batteries? I've been light on the throttle and sipping gas this week
Old 03-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

There is a very good chance that the software updates will fix your issues. Many years ago, before the software updates were official, we had threads from owners who had similar check engine lights at much lower miles. At the time Honda was having the dealers apply the updates and see if the codes came back. Mostly they didnít. Hopefully you can make it through the next few days until your dealer appointment. Do have the dealer load test the 12 volt battery, even though it is new. Wouldnít be the first new battery that has issues. Try to not freak out, as any hybrid that sits around too long will have these issues. So far, based on reporting around here, most revive. In fact I donít remember any dead IMAs that were not the result of a rear end collision. Even then it was damaged electronics, the battery pack itself was ok.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

That gives me such relief. The IMA was a big fear in purchasing. It makes me happy to know the system is robust enough to revive hopefully. My partner will be taking it in Wednesday. I took it out today in sport mode, just for fun.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

I took it in today for the update and it's like night and day. The recharge cycle seems to make more sense, and the battery seems like it can give more assist for longer without going into recharge mode.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sounds like a happy ending!

I just want to mention you can charge the battery by holding the engine at 2500 RPM in park. You will see the charge needle go up till the battery is charged.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in