Creaky Brakes? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Creaky Brakes?

Sorry to make my first post a call for help... I just bought a used 2010 Insight, and it has developed an intermittent creaking (not squeaking) sound from the drivers side wheel when I come to a stop. It also makes it if my foot is off the brake, moving slowly (5mph) with the wheel turned to the right.

Any guesses as to what this might be?

Edit: sorry Mods, looks like I accidentally put this in the 1st generation thread.

Last edited by NE10; 03-15-2018 at 07:57 PM.
NE10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Moved to 2nd Gen.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2018, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

@NE10
Try this: https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...50-post17.html
And check the brake pads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telegram:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gms24ru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the forum thread referral. After watching a bunch of videos I finally came across one that looks like it describes my problem:

Based on the video comments, I’ll try lubricating/replacing the brake pistons. It seems like that is the only thing that can make a creaking noise when braking.

I will update after I get my hands dirty.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

After viewing that video , that's not a "creaking", that is a "clicking". Something loose?

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think the pads can last so long tha one might need to “service” the front brakes inbetween replacement. In our other Honda the dealer once did this because the front brakes rattled. Turns out that the pins needed grease. In our 2010 Insight, one of the front pads got stuck and wore almost completely down. If that one hadn’t, the front pads would have lasted to 80k at least. Cobb, a mod & poster who has decamped these parts found a stronger return spring. Might be worth searching for that part number. In any case, I guess you will report back what you find.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

So I've gone to several different shops. Nobody can pinpoint where the creaking is coming from. I've replaced the wheel bearing, no luck, replaced the brake pads, no luck. Three different Honda dealerships can't figure it out.

The noise seems to be coming more from the front center of the car. It's more difficult to hear when the window is open. Can be very clearly heard when braking next to a wall. The noise is only present at speeds under 10mph. Much louder when braking, but the volume isn't consistent. Sometimes it's very loud, but the next minute it could be soft.

I may give up on it for now and just wait for something to break. Four different mechanics have given it a green light as not problematic. If I find the time this summer, I may go ahead and replace both brake calipers as a next step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
brakes, creaking, rotors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in