2010 Honda Insight Rear End Out Of Alignment - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2018, 05:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2010 Honda Insight Rear End Out Of Alignment

Hello Everybody,

It has been some time since I posted here. I have a 2010 Honda Insight and I just had my winter tires removed; Blizzaks all around. I bought them from Firestone and after 120,000 miles on my car I needed my second set of all season tires. I bought years ago an All Wheel Alignment package from Firestone. When the were checking the rear well alignment both rear wheels do not meet the toe specifications. Firestone tells me they can do nothing to fix this problem. The toe for each rear wheel should be 0 to .2 degrees. My left rear is .38 degrees and my right rear is .25 degrees.

They say there is nothing they can do. I made an appointment with my Honda dealer where I bought the car to have them take a look.

My questions are:

1) Can that be fixed?
2) If so will it be expensive?
3) I know the rear end is just some sort of beam between the wheels and how could that have been bent?
4) If I do nothing will I notice any significant wear on the rear tires?

Thanks for your help.

PS: What stinks too is the dealer is charging me $50 just to look at the car.
mank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2018, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mank View Post
Hello Everybody,

It has been some time since I posted here. I have a 2010 Honda Insight and I just had my winter tires removed; Blizzaks all around. I bought them from Firestone and after 120,000 miles on my car I needed my second set of all season tires. I bought years ago an All Wheel Alignment package from Firestone. When the were checking the rear well alignment both rear wheels do not meet the toe specifications. Firestone tells me they can do nothing to fix this problem. The toe for each rear wheel should be 0 to .2 degrees. My left rear is .38 degrees and my right rear is .25 degrees.

They say there is nothing they can do. I made an appointment with my Honda dealer where I bought the car to have them take a look.

My questions are:

1) Can that be fixed?
2) If so will it be expensive?
3) I know the rear end is just some sort of beam between the wheels and how could that have been bent?
4) If I do nothing will I notice any significant wear on the rear tires?

Thanks for your help.

PS: What stinks too is the dealer is charging me $50 just to look at the car.
Does it drive off in any way? also have you seen any uneven wear on your previous set of tires?

i trust those high school drop out firestone "professionals" about as far as i can throw them.

They once told me they couldn't get something on my car loosened up to do an alignment and will need $100s to fix that just to align it... Took it to a local fix it guy and he had it done in a second.
maximrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximrick View Post
Does it drive off in any way? also have you seen any uneven wear on your previous set of tires?

i trust those high school drop out firestone "professionals" about as far as i can throw them.

They once told me they couldn't get something on my car loosened up to do an alignment and will need $100s to fix that just to align it... Took it to a local fix it guy and he had it done in a second.
I haven't seen any unusual wear on the tires. Actually, the guy at Firestone said it will have very little affect on the wear of the tires but I wonder how the rear end got out of spec for the toe adjustment. I will admit that we have a ton of pot holes here in Pittsburgh and they are impossible to avoid. I will find out tomorrow what the Honda dealer tells me.

When I think about it the toe angle for the rear should be 0 to .24 degrees. My readings were .28 degrees and .34 degrees. The .34 seems a bit too much out of range but the car seems to be tracking straight when I let got of the wheel. My guess is that the front end has more to do with the tracking rather than the back end that is just going along for the ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

I imagine a possible cause of your geometry issue is a deteriorated rubber bushing on the rear suspension.

Also make sure your fuel tank is full when performing geometry measurements......the Service manual mentions this.

My 2012 insight just had it's MOT test (annual UK vehicle safety test) and although it passed, the inspector mentioned the rear tyres are wearing slightly on the inside edge, suggesting a possible camber issue. So I'll be interested to hear how you get on at the dealer.
booke23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

After the dealer looked at it they can do nothing either. I could take it to a body shop and they could put it on a laser and see if anything is bent. The dealer told me $300 just to put it on the machine. I figured forget it.

My tires seem to be wearing just fine in the rear.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

If it drives OK and doesn't wear the tires, I'm with you. You can't trust alignment shops. They gotta pay for their equipment
Old 06-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mank View Post
The dealer told me $300 just to put it on the machine. I figured forget it.
Yeah, that's a ridiculous price to put it on a rig.

I've decided to not do anything about my possible rear geometry issue......I closely examined the rear tyres the other day. They are wearing a bit more on the inner edges, but are still well above the legal minimum.

I noticed the date stamp on the tyres are from 2011, so they have been on the car since new......6 years and 34,000 miles. I'm sure they'll last another 10,000 miles at least. I can easily live with 45,000 miles from a set of rear tyres.
booke23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in