HELP -- Stock EX Alarm is Going off Randomly - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2018, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default HELP -- Stock EX Alarm is Going off Randomly

I have a 2010 EX with the stock alarm. 117k mi. Car has been perfect since I bought it used at 37k a bit over five years ago; it's been a daily driver since then, until a week and a half ago.

Mid-day today the alarm started going off randomly while sitting parked in my driveway--six or seven times during the afternoon. I hit unlock on the remote fob to silence it and then LEAVE IT UNLOCKED and it still goes off.

As the car had been parked for several days. I thought it might be related to battery issues, so in the late afternoon I started it--no problem at all starting--and drove it around for 45 minutes or so. The false alarm did not repeat; I chalked it up as random.

Then, just after midnight, it woke me (AND I AM SURE SOME OF MY NEIGHBORS!). It went off three more times as I searched this forum and typed this entry. I'll go down and disconnect the battery for tonight, I guess, but I would welcome any and all help.

HEEELLLLLLPPPP!

Thanks in advance, folks.
rallison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2018, 03:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would have your 12v battery properly load tested.

Just because you were able to start and drive it for 45 minutes doesn’t mean the battery is OK. When you drive it the charging system helps keep the car alive. If you have an older battery that is starting to have issues the drive won’t necessarily fix it. A battery with voltage drop issues could be the problem.

HTH,
Scott
Red 2002,MT 196,000mi, RE92's, new rear springs, GAZ shocks
Citrus 2000,MT 182,000mi, MIMA, RE92's, S2000 leather steering wheel, Japanese seat covers.
Simple grid charger SC03
New rear coil springs available, PM me.
One piece aluminum underbody panels.
PayPal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KLR3CYL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2018, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR3CYL View Post

I would have your 12v battery properly load tested. [...] A battery with voltage drop issues could be the problem.

HTH,
Scott
Thank you, Scott -- The battery is about 4 years old, so I'll have it checked out promptly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Indeed, the 12volt underhood batteries in these cars only seem to last about 3 years. Weird things happen when they get weak.
egads is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
Indeed, the 12volt underhood batteries in these cars only seem to last about 3 years. Weird things happen when they get weak.
The original 12v battery was 3-4 years old when I replaced it; the replacement (now 4 or 5 years old) was mid-level aftermarket. I would not have expected it to decay this soon.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

It has nothing to do with battery quality, but how the 12 volt battery is charged and used. There is no alternator to charge it directly and it almost never starts the car. There are specific reasons these batteries die early, but I am not the one to explain it, so I won’t. (It irritates those who really know)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

I had a note on my Insight from security at work that my alarm keeps going off. I had my battery checked and it was fine.

There is a common problem with many Hondas that the hood latch switch goes bad. Anything, even a temperature change, can then set off the alarm. You can clean, replace the switch, or simply disconnect the switch.

I disconnected my hood latch switch and have had no false alarms since. The door alarms still work fine.

Last edited by BackStreetXX; 09-28-2018 at 11:45 PM.
BackStreetXX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2019, 08:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ours is doing the same thing, we had our battery tested and it is fine. No one seems to know what is causing it. removing the battery cables is the only fix we found so far.
sibaseubo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mine does the same thing, we checked the battery, nothing wrong.
sibaseubo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

So, did you check the hood latch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
alarm malfunction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in