Power Steering/VBS lights - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Power Steering/VBS lights

2010 Insight 240k miles. When I started the car this morning power steering/VBS lights came one. I pulled forward slightly, no power steering. I am a widow with little knowledge regarding cars and I cannot afford expensive fixes.
Splash guard no longer intact, few plastic pieces hanging on. Emission light comes on and off periodically, think there may be some type of short with the sensor?
Any help/directions/instructions would be appreciated. I would like to attempt to resolve this issue with power steering/VBS as much as I can by myself while keeping costs down.
Thanks in advance.
janet824 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

First thing to do is............have the 12v battery LOAD tested.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Power Steering/VBS

Thank you for the starting point. That will be my next step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

+1 Willie.

AND, while you are at the Autozone, Advance, Napa, wherever you get your free battery check, have them check for diagnostic codes in the car computer- also free at most all stores. Do you have a check engine light lit on the dash?
Old 12-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Power Steering issue

I do not remember seeing a check engine light on the dash. The emission light shows on the dash, though as previously stated it comes on and off randomly.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Maybe change your gas cap for that problem. When getting gas, tighten gas cap till it clicks 6 times.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2018, 01:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

What about drive belt? Ever had that replaced? Because our Insights do not have a timing belt, those don't tend get the attention required. You did say that you have no power steering, a belt drives that and the A/C compressor.

While a weak 12 volt under hood is notorious for causing unexpected problems and light up the dash like a Christmas tree, you have a very specific trouble light, indicating an issue with the power steering.

VBS light? Um no, maybe TCS? or ABS?
The TCS stands for traction control system and it will set that light whenever there is any other issue. It means that system is shut off until the primary problem is fixed. Ignore that and check the power steering.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in