One rear door seems loose - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default One rear door seems loose

My passenger side rear door doesn't close flush to the car, and seems loose when closed. People comment they can feel the wind blowing in when sitting in that back seat.

When locked you can't open the door, but you can see a visible gap. Not much, but maybe 1/8" around the handle area and top area.

Is there a way to adjust the door to make it close properly? the other side closes with a good thud and seems snug. This side closes without the thud noise and leaves the gap. Like it's stuck partially open. But seems to line up from what I can see and nothing stuck in the closing area.
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Has the car been hit in that area that you know of?

Did you recently acquire the car?
Old 02-10-2019, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wind the window down and carefully grab the top of the door and bend in some,,keep trying to you close the gap..
Honda hybrid442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

it was in an accident on that side, I knew about it when I bought it. But the gap wasn't there before... or it may have been not noticeable.

Weird that it seems to have moved, like the gap has gotten bigger. Should I be concerned about the car's structural integrity?

Should I just try to bend it back with the window down? It's like it doesn't close properly. Hangs slightly open. I thought maybe the door strike. But looks to line up ok, but I'd guess even if off a little would make a difference.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I wouldn't be much concerned about the safety aspect. I doubt it is a chassis integrity issue.

If it has been repaired, maybe the latch loop on the door frame is loose. On many cars, the position of that loop is adjustable. Sometimes held in place with 2-4 large Phillips head screws. If you have the screws, find a big screwdriver and loosen them. Move the latch loop inward.

I admit I'm not all that familiar with the Gen 2 so I may well be wrong, but it is worth a quick look.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Good idea, thanks. I'll take a look at soon as the weather gets better.... too much ice, rain, and snow over the next few days!
Old 02-24-2019, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

This was the problem, and now it's fixed! Thanks!

Latch loop was just a bit loose. Moving and tightening makes the door back to normal again. I think because the latch loop was slightly loose, when the door was closed it pulled out a bit and had a gap. Now it's tight and properly aligned.

Great fix.
lexxxel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2019, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

You might want to put locktite on the threads if it happens again. Once had a Honda Odyssey that they forgot to use locktite on the rear hatch loop and it would loosen pretty regularly until I used some.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind in case it loosens up again. May even just add it in the warmer weather, because it must have become loose over time, hasn't always been like that.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in