No check engine light after removing spark plug wire connector - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default No check engine light after removing spark plug wire connector

This is my first post, hello, my car jerks in a uniform sequence when accelerating off, the revs bounce and smooths out as I catch some speed, I have tried many things oil CVT oil filter air and oil I cleaned the throttle body and egr but problem still exists so I removed the spark plug wire from front row and started the engine but there was no engine light then I removed all 4 of them and surprisingly there was still no engine light and the car drove as it always has with he 4 connectors off I then tested the sparks with a spark plug tester that lights up if there's a spark they all worked. I'm confused can anyone throw some light on this. Your words will be much appreciated many thanks.
Frayser10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 01:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Because the engine has 8 sparkplugs!
2 per cylinder.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Current miles are kind of an important thing to disclose in a post like this. Also the model year.
Yes there are indeed 8 plugs. To check the rear ones, see the spark plug change sticky post down in the Mods & Tech section of the second gen. (have they ever been replaced?)

So the CVT fluid has been changed. Have you tried doing that recalibration thing that is basically finding a deserted road, getting up to 30 MPH and then coasting to a stop without touching the brakes. Most jerkiness is related to the CVT.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

2009 UK version 124000miles there is another thing on my mind.. the CVT fluid is like a light golden colour not red or green is this right?

I have changed the front four, I didn't realise 4 at the back.

Yes I have done the 30 to stop but still jerky.. this brings me to another problem the idle reves are just below 1000 like 850-900ish I feel these are high.

Last edited by Frayser10; 03-23-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Update after replacement of all spark plugs the hesitation has been reduced by 90 percent but there is still a problem somewhere. I have only had car for 2 month the previous owner said he has changed the CVTf but I syphoned some out today and the colour seems dark and brown not light and green. So will do a full change and update this post
Old 03-24-2019, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Use only real Honda CVT fluid. Plan on doing it again sooner rather than later. Like in 15,000-18,000 miles.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayser10 View Post
...the colour seems dark and brown...
Changed mine out earlier than the maintenance minder indicated, after about 23k miles. My fluid was deep black.

Sent if off to a lab for analysis (as I do for my oil), and they said it was just fine. Readings were typical, and in the expected ranges.

That being said, I wouldn't worry about the color itself too much.
Also, I totally agree on using Honda CVT-F only.

Former Hondas '13 Fit EV, '11 CR-Z EX, '97 del Sol VTEC, '93 del Sol Si, '13 TSX Wagon
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in