High frequency whirring noise when accelerating - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2019, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default High frequency whirring noise when accelerating - Possible IMA?

Hey everyone,

This is my first post. I recently bought a 2010 Honda Insight EX and so far I'm really enjoying the car.

The car drives and runs great. However, there is high frequency whirring noise when I accelerate (not too loud and I can only hear it in the cabin and not when I roll my windows down). I usually hear it when I see the needle for the IMA indicator increase. It seems to go away at high speeds and when I let my foot off the gas.

It does not make any noise while idle at all nor when I rev the engine in Park or Neutral (Not sure if this would do anything or the correct way to troubleshoot, but I wanted to check).

Is there supposed to be a high frequency whirring sound with IMA? This is my first hybrid and I'm not sure if that sound is supposed to be normal.

Hoping you guys can help. Thanks!

Last edited by Natechur; 05-21-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Natechur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2019, 02:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

I heard that too: I had my Insight for only 300 Km and that high frequency whirring noise is present. It's an electrical noise so I think is part of the package. Unfortunately. I will ignore it.
madhorsefuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Because you are both newbies to the 2nd generation Insight, I am going to suggest you change the CVT (constant velocity transmission) fluid. It is possible that service was neglected by the previous owner.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 03:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

My CVT fluid was changed at the Honda dealer 4.600 Km ago (3 months ago). I still have 35.400 Km till the next change.

The motor Oil was changed 200 Km ago (last week) at the same Honda dealer with Honda Hybrid Green Oil.

The car has 82.700 Km.
madhorsefuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Good advice
Garrydhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

On a separate issue what did you pay for the green oil and the CVT oil? I'm in Ireland and crazy prices abound- thank you.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

My 2010 ( previous insight ze2) had a whirring noise for as long as I owned it ,not intrusive and I faithfully changed the CVT oil every other service- TBH CVT engines do whir ,my last car ( Suzuki swift automatic,jap import, CVT ) also whirred,but no problems
Old 06-04-2019, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hey everyone, thanks for all of the suggestions.

I took everyone's advice to change the CVT fluid just to make sure that's taken care of as I wasn't sure if it could have potentially been neglected from the previous owner.

Since I went to a Honda dealership to get the CVT fluid drained and filled, I thought I'd address the high pitched whir upon acceleration as well.

The dealership suspected that there was a tiny leak between the exhaust manifold and B-pipe due to worn motor mounts. They stated that the whirring noise occurred because the engine was flexing upon acceleration and due to the worn mounts that it caused a tiny leak and that was the source of the noise.

Also pointed out that the reason it went away at high speeds was because the engine did not need to flex as much when reaching highway speeds.

They suggested that I replace the donut/gasket between the manifold and b-pipe, which I had them do but it did not get rid of the noise...

I guess the good news is that they mentioned that I shouldn't be too concerned about the tiny leak as it wasn't leaking while idle and it's only a slight annoyance and doesn't need to be further addressed.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this diagnosis? Also, based on everyone else's response, it sounds like it is normal..
Old 06-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrydhu View Post
My 2010 ( previous insight ze2) had a whirring noise for as long as I owned it ,not intrusive and I faithfully changed the CVT oil every other service- TBH CVT engines do whir ,my last car ( Suzuki swift automatic,jap import, CVT ) also whirred,but no problems
Hi Garrydhu, did this high pitched whirring noise only occur upon acceleration?
Old 06-04-2019, 08:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

"Didn't get rid of the noise", did they still charge you for the repair?
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in