Car "bunny hopping" on take off - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2019, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Car "bunny hopping" on take off

Hello,

I am having a slight issue with my 2010 Honda Insight (EU model). I had the car for 6 months now.
When the car is cold it is "hopping" when taking off with light accelerator pressure: youtube.com / watch?v=XjnrJBonB24

It makes parking or manoeuvring a less then comfortable experience. Especially on small incline and in the morning.

It is especially noticeable on Reverse. Less pronounced on D. As the car warms up the issue goes away on D and is still slightly noticeable on R. The video was shoot with car semi cold. It only happens with light throttle. If I let it creep with no throttle or take off more vigorously it works normal.

Things that where done:
- Hooked up to laptop and Honda HDS Scan tool (I have a well equipped workshop - no errors
- Performed EGR valve test - Test OK
- Replaced air filter and cabin filter - no improvement
- Updated the ECU/CVT/IMA software + cleaned the throttle body - smoothed things a bit.
- Performed Idle relearn procedure + Start clutch relearn procedure - Seems to fix the issue but when the car cools down it starts hopping again - Procedure can only be done on warm engine.
- Replaced Engine oil and filter (Switched from 5W-30 to Geniuine Honda Green Hybrid) - nothing although it's smoother on V-TEC valve mode changes.
- Car was a bit low on Transmission fluid (barely touching low "cold" mark) so topped it up as per service manual - Added around 400 ml but no improvement

The transmission oil looks clean. Last change was 2 yrs/50 000 km ago.
Tyre pressure is as per sticker.
Engine/transmission behaves perfectly fine when on Neutral or when Cruising.
Did the Start clutch stall test and it's OK. No judder, no slipping.

Things to do:
- Front brake caliper is sticking. I am going to replace the brake fluid as it's past it's 3 year mark and do the brakes ASAP but I am afraid it will not fix the issue (Although might smooth it out a bit).
- Car is reaching 120kkm mark where the spark plug and fuel filter change is required - Probably won't fix it.

Anyone with the same issue?
Will the CVT fluid change help or is it a Start clutch valve/actuator going away?

Last edited by wlaziu; 06-26-2019 at 08:51 AM.
wlaziu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I don't get anything from your video.

50K km is overdue for a CVT fluid change IMHO. That's where I'd start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Change the CVT oil
Garrydhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Piling on: change the CVT fluid, 50,000 km is just over 31,000 miles. The guy who designed the CVT says every 15-18k miles (24,000-28,000km) should be the change interval. Every other oil change is a good way to time it.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2019, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Better off staying on top CVT/ oil change- I changed mine every other service on my old insight,and changed my CVT on my current one as soon S I bought it( despite being told it was done already- no chances)
Old 06-26-2019, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok. Will look into changing the cvt fluid then. I'm wondering if that could be caused by clogged filter in cvt.
Did it help to anyone of you for this particular issue? Did you do single or double flush of the fluid?
wlaziu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2019, 04:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Updates and the CVT oil change made my old insight a different car is MPG much better,and the CVT software update sorted out the shuddering
Old 06-26-2019, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Never changed the CVT filter - didn't flush - just left it drip drip away for 20 plus minutes
Old 06-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

While a typical Honda automatic might require 3-4 changes to completely replace the fluid, this CVT drains almost all the fluid at once. There is an inline filter that could be replaced. For the truly obsessed (or skilled with the tools) there is an internal filter:

https://www.insightcentral.net/forum...er-change.html

What are the total km on your Insight?
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019, 04:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

He says 120 km- well past time to change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cvt transmission, problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in