Honda Insight Forum banner

Leaking nearside (left) rear shock adsorber

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Uriel 
#1 ·
The nearside rear shock adsorber on my UK spec I2 ES has sprung a minor leak after 4 1/2 years and 49,500 miles. First repair I'lll have had involving a part replacement (a siezed rear caliper just needed to be cleaned and reassembled).

There have been few symptoms. My suspension has always been a little creaky since I bought the car at 1 1/2 years old and 23k miles but that previously cleared up when a different dealer cleaned out the subframe bolts under warranty. It has made the odd creak over rough surfaces recently when the car is cold though. The ride has never been that smooth but it's comparable with other I2s I've driven. In this case it was spotted while checking out a slow air leak from one of the wheels.

Replacement part from Lings Honda website is about £150. I've been quoted £194 to replace one or £370 for both rear shocks. The dealer talked me into replacing one rather than both, as they say the dampening characteristics are still OK on the other. Seems a little odd to me. I'd have thought that having one new rear shock and the other with 50 thousand miles on it might affect the handling adversely. I've heard of garages recommending replacing one shock when replacing defective parts under warrantly but I'll be paying for this one. I'd have thougt replacing worn parts would usually be a different matter? If anything seems off I'll be getting the second one done too pretty quickly.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.