Jerkiness issue on 2010 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jerkiness issue on 2010

First of all, thank you all for providing me with some valuable information on the jerkiness thing that I was able to take to the dealer with me this morning.

This is my first post here, but I bought this car 2 days ago and trolled this forum for hours after realizing that my new car jerks like a rollercoaster under light acceleration.

Based on all your advice, I made a list of 4 things to try:

1. Clutch calibration procedure
2. Replace CVT fluid (with both internal [strainer assembly] and cooler filters) 6 qts
3. Get software updates
4. Replace starter battery

Right now the dealership is flushing the CVT fluid, but when I asked about software updates, they used the word "recall" and told me there was only one issued for the car (based on a VIN lookup). It was something to do with a battery, but I didn't get the exact name. I couldn't even tell if the adviser meant that was one that it still needed, or the only one that had been applied. A language barrier made communication hard.

Is it normal for "recall" and "software update" to be used interchangeably, and can I confidently say that this car definitely has had 4 software updates issued for it?

Also, is there any way at all to determine the software status of my car without having to go to a dealership?

Thanks for all your advice, previously and today!
jfeaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's series of 4 updates, not a recall. They will need to plug it into the service area computer for them to be detected. A VIN number will give them nothing.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Uriel - thank you!

Is there some official place where I can print documentation to show them what I'm talking about? Because this guy would not register the word "update".

Does Honda maintain a list of updates per model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Or better yet, do these updates have release numbers, version numbers, or SKUs?
Old 01-14-2016, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Actually, it depends where you are as to whether it's classed as a recall. It is a recall in the USA but not other territories .

The actual software updates are the same. IIRC most people that went for the recall received 3 or 4 software updates depending on their car and when they had it done.

Last edited by Uriel; 01-14-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok, understood. I just had a phone call with the service adviser, and I think we made some headway with communication on this. He (I think) agreed to make sure it got hooked up to the computer and give me a list of updates that have already been / are being installed today.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 01-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just to keep this up to date, I picked up the car and the service made no difference at all in terms of the jerky ride.

The CVT fluid was changed, and supposedly they something with the software. I can't make sense of the line item:

Quote:
A CUSTOMER STATES PERFORM RECALL 14-064 I A BATTERY EFFECT
CAUSE:RECALL ON SOFTWARE UPDATE
1255A5 PRODUCT UPDATE CAMPAIGN: UPDATE ECM
S/B: 05-028 S/B: 14-064
8340 WC
The guy kept insisting that the VIN tells them everything they need to know. He assured me that they hooked it up to their computer, but I think he might have been lying because I kept asking about it.

But why wouldn't the VIN tell them everything? If Honda sends an update to a unit, doesn't their database record the VIN involved in the transaction?
Old 01-14-2016, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

It's my understanding that once they hook it up, all updates not previously done will download. I guess it's possible the tech may be able to just do one. But it sure is chicken **** for them to do so, especially because you were asking for all of them.

Some dealers are really nervous about applying updates because of an issue with the Civic Hybrid. Dealers were told by Honda to do the updates, customers were not told they were being done. That update made the IMA battery last long at the expense of fuel mileage. Customers were pissed, Honda got sued, service advisers got an earful. No wonder they are shy about it. That said, maybe the tech actually working on your car either didn't know what he was doing or didn't think it was important.

My advise would be to try another dealer or call Honda Corp or both.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2016, 02:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Regarding VIN - in the UK searching under VIN will bring up details of recalls.

Some software updates are not recalls (in the UK none of the Insight's updates were actually recalls and the only recall we've had relates to the driver airbag).

In the USA one of the software updates was classed as a recall because of emissions laws.

Last edited by Uriel; 01-15-2016 at 02:42 AM.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Cool - I see that distinction now. I might go to another dealer at some point just to make sure, but based on what I see on the line item, the tech probably did something that the SA didn't understand.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in