Insight 2010 Jerking when cold - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Insight 2010 Jerking when cold

Hello
I bought my Honda insight 2010 one week ago(14.4.2016) It has done 212000 Km and it has a full service history.
I noticed that the car is jerking when its cold and especially on reverse. I took it to Honda dealer last monday (18.4.2016) where they updated the transmission and ECUsoftware and made a CVT fluid change. This morning I was leaving from work and it did it again.
I tested it Twice first with eco mode on and second time eco mode off. I managed to get this short video from the ECO mode off part. Im reversing and its jerking when i apply throttle. It was worse on ECO mode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYKy9VpRLNY

Is this a CVT problem? Electrical problem? EGR problem? I have red from this forum that there have been lot of different solutions for jerkiness.

Sorry about my English! Im from Finland so im not a native speaker. =)
TeURaS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2016, 03:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Here is a better video of that jerking and bucking from this morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYX9bEFUllA
Old 04-20-2016, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Give the clutch relearn routine a go. You need to drive above 35mph and then, with feet off the pedals, allow the car to slow to a crawl.

A clogged EGR can also reportedly produce symptoms similar to yours. A preventative measure for that is using top tier fuel (or in Europe, branded fuel such as BP or Shell).

When was the last time the car had a CVT fluid change before you owned it and have they been kept up throughout its life?

Last edited by Uriel; 04-20-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Last time the CVT fluid was changed was 180000km maintenance and before that it seems that they have skipped couple changes. My dealer is suspecting that it is the Clutch pack that is done. A new Clutch pack installed costs around 1300€...
Old 04-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Hey TeURas

i have a 2010 canadian version 80 000 km on it. Im live in cold place on Quebec and on a cold day mind do the same thing ! but when the motor is hot they work perfectely, maby you have nothing wrong with your car is just the insight did like the cold weather ! here my trick to improve this. I left running the motor about 2 min be sure to apply the parking brake and put the transmission to neutral that left the tranny warm up before u start running i run all the time Eco mode off and if a need to go before the warm up append i put the transmission in S for better warm up !

let me know how do they work for you !

sorry to for my bad English !
vieuloup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2016, 02:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well the car is ATM at my local Honda dealer and they are trying to figure out what is causing the bucking and jerking. I all so called to Finland's leading Honda technician and he told me that there is actually 8 different Insights made world wide. So he told me that there are some differences between parts and components used depending where the car will end up. And mine is actually brought to Finland from Belgium so there all ready can be a difference between the once originally bought from Finland.

For example Nissan produces different kind cars to southern Europe and Scandinavia. Scandinavian cars have larger heater cell and bigger thermostat and Scandinavian cars have heated seats and many other features that they donīt need in warm countries.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

ok I see good luck ! it would be nice to know the outcome of the problem if there is problem.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

The car was at my local dealer whole day and they run all the test they could and they did not find the cause for the bucking and jerking. They told me that the car does not give any fault code so there is no fault. And imidietly when I got the car back I drove it down hill and stopped then changed to reverse and it was bucking and jerking up hill... Im just going to get rid off this car. I canīt accept this kind of "feature" in my car.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Skipped CVT fluid changes are a bad sign. Honda CVTs tend to be reliable if fluid changes are done with the correct fluid and on time. They can be an expensive liability if not.

Can you reject the car for a refund or will you be looking at selling it on?
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

well that bad for u TeURaS !

i have a another tip four you when u said he Jerks on reverse the moteur is cold ? if is it u need to push more on gaz for stop jerking mind do it the same when they cold !

And and when it is hot does it again?

For me this type of car should be conducted differently than a normal vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in