Leaky rear shock issue - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Leaky rear shock issue

So my 2010 is at around 101k miles and I found a great independent Honda mechanic to have my 100k mile service done. Excellent job. While my car was up on the rack, he pointed out to me that my rear shocks showed evidence of leakage and said they probably have to be replaced soon. I saw the evidence myself.

When I got home, I was going through all my service receipts that I have acquired over the years to re-organize them and I found one from 2013 from the dealer that indicated they informed me (and showed me) that my back shocks were leaking. The car was around 60k miles at that time. I had forgotten about this but the receipt shows they replaced the back shocks at that time, and because I had the extended service contract, it was covered.

My question is this: Is it possible to have another set of leaky back shocks in the last 40k miles? Or did they maybe not replace them at all? Also, I have been to the dealer for service many times since 2013 and no one has said anything about the condition of the shocks...

Last edited by Keen4Green; 06-02-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Keen4Green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2016, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Anyone? Anyone out there with experience replacing shocks? Advice?
Old 05-30-2016, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

If the oem shocks were leaky then the replacements could be as well. Unless you checked the replacements at the time it was done you will never know.
It is also possible that this new independent mechanic is not as honest as you think. Spraying oil on a shock and showing the customer is one of the oldest scams. I might be inclined to clean the shock and see if it shows any further signs of leakage. Google testing shocks for some guidance.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Thanks egads, good points. I am no expert but the oil on the shocks looked old to me. Perhaps I should take the car back to my dealer and have them check them out. In the meantime I will wipe the oil off like you suggested and see what happens.

One more question: The 2013 repair invoice from the dealer indicates a part number, so I am wondering if there is some way I can confirm that part number on the shocks themselves....
Old 05-31-2016, 12:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

This is the part number Bernardi shows:
No: 52610-TM8-A03
SHOCK ABSORBER ASSY., RR.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda/Parts

They are one of the few Honda dealers selling parts online that have searchable detailed parts with numbers.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2016, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Update 6-2-16

UPDATE: I took my I2 to my dealer have a look at the rear shocks. Indeed, they are leaking so my new mechanic was being honest. They confirmed they were previously replaced in 2013 as well. Luckily am under 120k miles and my Honda Care extended warranty will cover the shocks again. While they were at it they discovered a tie rod end was loose or off. That is also covered under my warranty. And because the shocks won't be in till tomorrow, they paid for a rental car again.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

I had a leaking rear shock on my 2010 at about 60,000 miles.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2016, 09:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Shocks all done! I asked them to put it back up on the rack so I could see them and compare to previous ones indie mechanic showed me. Brand spanking new. I also had them show me the tie rod boots L and R they replaced. Add in my free rental car and I it was about $800+ worth of work that my Honda Care warranty paid for. My I2 feels like a new car.

My only gripe is somehow between 2013 and 2016 the service guys at the dealer where I got all my service done never noticed the replacement rear shocks were leaking. It took an indie mechanic to point it out...
Old 08-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default rear shocks

Today I changed leaked shock to KAYABA 348016 (originally compatible to Jazz III). As my mechanic said: Only few millimeters difference, but it fits perfectly to Insight 2010
Robertas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in