2011 major loss of power - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2016, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2011 major loss of power

Hi guys, the car has 85k miles on it and suddenly the car lost power and idle became extremely rough, losing power. Got misfire codes pulled. The car will start from a cold with hardly any issues but after one minute the car loses power again.

Pulled plugs and found cylinder #2 was wet. So I replaced all the plugs and ordered two new ignition coils but the problem persists. Seems actually worse now.... Help!!
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2016, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Possibly a map sensor problem? Does it continue to give misfire codes?

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2016, 12:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, still misfire codes.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2016, 10:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

You need to do a compression test. It maybe that damn oil consumption rearing its ugly head. Was the plug black, oily or just gassy?

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2019, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Was this problem ever resolved? I am having pretty much identical issues with a 2013.

The car lost power while driving on the interstate (!!!) and engine runs super rough. Lots of scary info messages such as "check emission system" "check brake system" "check vsa system" and "check hill start assist system".
Much to my frustration, I found the car was very low on oil. Had to put in ~1.5 qts to bring it back to safe area... I have done the oil changes for the 2 years we have had the car, and to my knowledge hasn't consumed much oil between changes...until now apparently.

Pulled plugs and the ones on cylinder 2 were really really bad and cyl 3 not so horrible but not great either. I replaced spark plugs, and got access to a code reader (my cheap one doesn't seem to work..) and the codes are p0300, 0302, & 0303. Which is understandable considering the shape those plugs were in. Another observation: There is some lovely black sooty crud that appears to have come out of my exhaust lately. Do I run the risk of breaking exhaust stuff like c02 sensors, catalytic, etc? Have I already broken something else? Ooof.

Let me know if you all have any suggestions, or OP what your prognosis was.

Thanks
henmill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmill View Post
Was this problem ever resolved? I am having pretty much identical issues with a 2013.

The car lost power while driving on the interstate (!!!) and engine runs super rough. Lots of scary info messages such as "check emission system" "check brake system" "check vsa system" and "check hill start assist system".
Much to my frustration, I found the car was very low on oil. Had to put in ~1.5 qts to bring it back to safe area... I have done the oil changes for the 2 years we have had the car, and to my knowledge hasn't consumed much oil between changes...until now apparently.

Pulled plugs and the ones on cylinder 2 were really really bad and cyl 3 not so horrible but not great either. I replaced spark plugs, and got access to a code reader (my cheap one doesn't seem to work..) and the codes are p0300, 0302, & 0303. Which is understandable considering the shape those plugs were in. Another observation: There is some lovely black sooty crud that appears to have come out of my exhaust lately. Do I run the risk of breaking exhaust stuff like c02 sensors, catalytic, etc? Have I already broken something else? Ooof.

Let me know if you all have any suggestions, or OP what your prognosis was.

Thanks
There is a service bulletin on your model year Insight. The dealer will tear the engine down and replace the piston rings. I hope you saved the fouled plugs. We have several threads around here about this. Here is a link to the TSB:

https://honda.oemdtc.com/TSB/A16-101.pdf
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the link egads. I did not know Honda had extended their coverage for this. I do still have the plugs, posting them here just because.. I have definitely read a lot of stories on this issue on this forum, but it sounded like people got mixed results from dealers whether they would fix or not. This eases my mind greatly. Time to call up the dealer

edit: picture doesn't seem to work. oh well. you get the idea, a shredded spark plug
Old 02-28-2019, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

UPDATE: the dealer called me back with grim news. Says a new motor is needed and Honda won't cover any cost because I changed spark plugs. Quoted $3300 for a used engine with 81k on it. Yeah. ok. New engine quoted >$8000.

Guess who's going to cause a scene this afternoon at the dealer?

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I thought others in my situation down the road may find this info useful.

Feel free to give any advice on my best options. I.e., legal recourse.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Causing a scene at the dealer wont accomplish anything as corporate honda makes the ultimate decision to pay up ... they can however be a good advocate for you ... it all depends if pressure or cajoling will work on them ... you could also try getting a lawyer to draft a strong letter on official letterhead to corporate honda offices ... include all service documentation, when the problem began, when you changed the plugs and why, pictures of the plugs would help too, some print outs of insight central threads re the oil consumption issue, etc ... best

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 12:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Henmill:
If you can't get a satisfactory reply at the dealer, contact corporation headquarters.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in