Overheating, VSA Light, Emissions light, Check Oil - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2016, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Overheating, VSA Light, Emissions light, Check Oil

Hi,

2011 Honda Insight about 140K miles on it. Just had it serviced a week ago at a Honda dealership (Capitol Honda in San Jose) and also had full AC replacement, water pump (As they said that caused the AC clutch to burn out, due to coolant leakage) and also battery amongst a regular service. All told just shy of $3000.

Today some 10 days later, driving less than about 5 miles after the car had sat in 90 degree weather for about 40 mins, the overheating light came on, the AC then failed and just as we were pulling over at a safe point we then had an array of other warnings come on. The VSA light, The Check Engine Oil light and the Emissions light in rapid succession. We decided that well a tow was needed back to the dealership. There was no odd noise from the car (Like the rumble we had with the burned out AC clutch)

When turning the car into the accessory position it then shows the emissions warning I believe.

Has anyone seen this type of rapid errors occur before?

Last edited by insightca; 06-22-2016 at 12:08 AM.
insightca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2016, 12:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

So sorry to hear. It was 112 here in So Cal yesterday. There was bumper to bumper traffic and I was afraid of engine overheating so I turned off a/c completely.

Sounds like various issues happening with yours though I've never experienced any of the phenomena you describe. Hope u get it all worked out, and hopefully the technical guys here on the forum can weigh in.
Keen4Green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not an I2 guy, but this sounds like what others have described happening when the 12V battery dies. The I2 is famous for being hard on 12V batteries, and they seem to fail suddenly and light up the dash.

I suggest having your 12V battery LOAD TESTED. The voltage might be ok, but it might fail the load test.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Wow I guess 10 days on a new battery is a record then . I guess new batteries can fail quickly too. Currently waiting for Honda to call me back and load more issues up I am sure of it. Any recommendations on what I should direct them to do as I know if they go off the codes it will be a never ending bill
Old 06-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

So quick update. The Tech says coolant leaked due to a radiator leak... another $1040 for that..Then they are to retest the system again once thats in...Will keep you posted. The suggestion was that its a domino effect on the codes. Still expecting more to this story
Old 06-22-2016, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Could be they forgot to plug in something. Back in 2011 or so it got well over 100 for a few days here on the East Coast. My water temp was 220 F and no idiot lights or problems. AC was still blowing cool, but not cold.

Yes, a bad or low starter battery will cause all the idiot lights to come on even while the car is running and none of the faults are true. Most starter batteries come 80% charged from the factory before they sit on the shelf and further self discharge.

Im anal, I precharge my replacement starter batteries before installation then return the core the next day or 2. It can also take 12 cycles for a starter battery or even deep cycle to come up to full capacity.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

OK so the end result was just a blown radiator and a new thermostat. The tech could only suggest that the other error messages were related. The car seems to run fine so will see what the next few days look like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in