Hi 12v voltages - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2016, 05:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hi 12v voltages

Hi all greetings from Ireland. I have a 2010 gen 2. Just the other day the ABS light came on for no apparent reason.

I see that this can be caused by a bad 12v battery. I used my OBD tool to log the voltages on a drive.

Engine off 12v
Engine off all accessores and lights on 10.8v
On driving I'm getting between 11.8v and 12.9v depending if the assist is on or off.

I know that a few members here use scan gauges.can you let me know what sort of voltages you get with your car.

Thanks.
Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

The voltage is not really the issue. What you need is a load test. That is how the health of a battery is tested. If your Insight still has it's original battery, it is beyond time to replace it. Unlike other vehicles that use the underbody battery to start the car, the battery in the Insight is barely used at all. That actually makes it wear out faster because it is not exercised. As a side note, a good battery would show closer to 14 volts.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
The voltage is not really the issue. What you need is a load test. That is how the health of a battery is tested. If your Insight still has it's original battery, it is beyond time to replace it. Unlike other vehicles that use the underbody battery to start the car, the battery in the Insight is barely used at all. That actually makes it wear out faster because it is not exercised. As a side note, a good battery would show closer to 14 volts.
Agree 100% on the load test and the replacement timing.

Disagree violently with the bold/italics portion.

There is an initial period of "exercising" where lead acid battery capacity improves if it wasn't done at the manufacturer (almost never is). The idea that the battery wears out faster because it's not exercised is completely off the mark.

Beyond the initial forming cycles, every cycle deteriorates the battery. Period. The deeper the cycle, the greater the deterioration. Additionally, when lead acid is at an SoC at anything less than 100%, it is deteriorating from just sitting there. This deterioration accelerates at lower SoC. This is why 12V batteries become ruined after several months of sitting.

Lead acid batteries in Honda IMA cars fail because the cars keep the 12V at lower SoC. Float voltage is typically around 13.6 for most automotive 12V batteries, which is where non-hybrids keep their 12V levels after an initial 14.4-14.7V top-off charging.

I routinely monitor 12V off a cigarette lighter voltmeter. It's rare I see anything in the vicinity of 13.6. There is often an initial voltage of 14.1 after the car is started, but it's typically in the 12.8-12.9 range.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks guys, I got the battery load tested by 2 garages one with an old school resistor and the other one had one of teh modern digital gadgets both said it was good.

I did however get one of the mechanics to plug the diagnostics he said it was ABS pump circuit open. But there was also a "low battery voltage" error stored in the car.

So what I've done now, I've swapped the battery with the one from my Fit, so far good news, the ABS lights went off almost as soon as i drove out of the driveway and after 2x 20min drives it seems everything is still ok.

With this battery I'm getting the usual 12.8-12.9V while driving, but with the car off i'm getting 11.8 which is a lot better than 10.8

fingers crossed this solves the issue and i dont need a new ABS pump!
Old 09-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
thanks guys, I got the battery load tested by 2 garages one with an old school resistor and the other one had one of teh modern digital gadgets both said it was good.

I did however get one of the mechanics to plug the diagnostics he said it was ABS pump circuit open. But there was also a "low battery voltage" error stored in the car.

So what I've done now, I've swapped the battery with the one from my Fit, so far good news, the ABS lights went off almost as soon as i drove out of the driveway and after 2x 20min drives it seems everything is still ok.

With this battery I'm getting the usual 12.8-12.9V while driving, but with the car off i'm getting 11.8 which is a lot better than 10.8

fingers crossed this solves the issue and i dont need a new ABS pump!

Im having the exact same DTCs in my 2010 insight... replaced the 12v battery with a new one and initially ABS light stayed off but started to come on after a few trips... now the first trip of the day (after the car has been parked overnight).. the abs light stays off no matter how long the trip or how many times the ABS is triggered... subsequently it turns on as soon as speed goes above 10 KPH... the ABS and brake (amber) light stays on till next day...

any expert opinion on the above situation will be highly appreciated...
hasanyusaf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi Husanyusaf, Seems we have the same problem.

I suppose when teh car is left alone for a while something my "cool down" and the motor electrical cicuit is ok.

Once I gave the motor a few knocks with a hammer (taps) and teh light went off. But most of the time now it's on. There was a guy with a thread here, he was from indonesia and I think we might have the same problem and the only solution is to replace the motor unit.

I am chasing the salesman who sold me mine to fix it, the car is still under guarantee so i cant do anything to it or i void my warranty.

IF it is a "heat problem" then maybe wrapping the ABS motor in some heat protective film might solve it, but I doubt that.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here in the US the manual calls for changing the brake fluid every three years regardless of miles (km) driven. I wonder if having old fluid could effect the pump?
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Bad news it was the ABS pump gone bad

Good news is i got it replaced under warranty.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ha. My ABS motor is bad. Still waiting to see if it'll be replaced under warranty. Mine is a 2010 as well.
newscast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in