Emmision, VSA and brake system indicator all light up - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2016, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Emmision, VSA and brake system indicator all light up

Hi

Seeking help as i face this problem with my Honda Insight 2012.
Just normal driving after i drop my friend, the car suddenly loosing power and indicator for emission, brake and VSA all light up.

The car able to start, not over heated but stepped on the pedal didn't provide any power for the car to move.

Anyone know what the problem might be???

Thank you in advance.
Addrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2016, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not a G2 guy, but I've read that this is usually a 12V battery problem. Do a search and you'll get a lot of hits. Meanwhile have your 12V load tested.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sent in to Honda for inspection, hopefully it is just battery problem...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Please do report back what they found.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2016, 02:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

I had this exact problem two months ago. I have a 2013 Insight, still under warranty, but had it towed to the dealership because I lost almost all power to the engine. Everything was still running but I couldn't get the car to get over 18 mph and that was with the RPM gauge reved up to the red. Anyway, they looked at it and said it was an electrical short which could have been caused by any number of things. They reset the sensors and everything went back to normal...until this morning. I was out driving in town and all the lights came on again: hill start assist, VSA, brakes, and emissions. This time the car did not power down like it did the first time and I was able to drive it home. Essentially, it feels and acts like the hybrid feature of my car isn't working. I'm hoping I just need a new battery. From what I'm reading online, the 12volt battery goes bad and can't hold the load. Both times this has happened I was driving in city traffic with the AC on, so that may have put too much strain on it. I will post follow up when I can get it to the dealer. Please do the same.
ajbuchin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2016, 01:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

I had my car inspected and Honda service center staff share to me that they had receive numerous return of this issue. It combustion part leak and cause low pressure, thus the car have no power to move forward.

Suspected that this is flaws with the engine and it require overhaul which cost me 3-4k in USD.

Maybe every insight owner should check with their service centre about this issue as it seem like quite a lot owner having this break down, due to combustion leak.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Where are you located? Did they provide you with a record of the compression test? Did they (or you) test the 12V battery?

How many miles on your car? Do you check your oil and do you know if it uses any oil? Some 2012s have had a problem with this, and if you let it run out of oil, it COULD be low on compression. If so, Honda has replaced some engines, but some have had to replace it themselves.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

This is such crap. Honda should be rebuilding these things with rings that aren't faulty. The 10-11's are basically bulletproof unless you go doing a bunch of stuff to them. In no way should Honda have slacked and put out a bunch of engines that eventually deteriorate 12+ and up. I wonder if they finally fixed it in the latest years that came out ...
Zwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2017, 09:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Dis anyone has follow ups?

I have the same problem, I started my 2012 Insight in the morning, and all of sudden the lights came on: hill start assist, VSA, brakes, and emissions.

But it did not lose power, and i drove it even to 70MPH on highway. A local mechanic helped me reset all lights, and now it seems everything is OK. I am a little afraid some day it will show up again.

Anybody know what is the problem is and how to solve it? Thanks SOOOOO much.
shining_sir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2017, 10:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

My car was due to combustion leakage and Honda Service Center got it fix by claiming Honda. Now it going smooth.

Initially before my car loosing power, it had light up as your case for the first time. It will slowly loosing power and end up like my Insight.

It better you have a good service record at Honda Service Center to be eligible for the claim in future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in