NEED ADVICE: 2010 battery failure with 60k miles, void warrenty - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2016, 02:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation NEED ADVICE: 2010 battery failure with 60k miles, void warrenty

Hi fellow Insight owners,

I'm glad to be a part of this forum! I just bought an insight 2 months ago, and I wish my first post was on a happier subject.

So I bought the 2010 LX 2 months ago with a little under 60k miles, and recently the IMA light and check engine light came on. The dealership said of course like all the others do the software update first then the battery will most likely need to be changed.

Normally Honda has the 8-year 100k mile IMA warranty, but for some reason because I bought it salvaged, they voided the warranty and they said I would have to pay full cost for the new battery. I called Honda customer service, and they couldn't do anything to help at all.

Seeing as I definitely can't afford this battery replacement for their quote of over $3000, I'm reaching out to the community to hear your thoughts. Is there any way to convince Honda to do it for free? Are there cheaper battery replacement alternatives?

Thanks again for reading, and I appreciate the help!
-Aaron
aaron= is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2016, 04:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Without knowing the details I would guess you have a bad 12V battery rather than a bad hybrid battery.

A bad 12V battery causes loads of trouble, even IMA failures as the IMA system electronics are fed by the 12V system and produce errors if the voltage drops below 10 Volt.
12V battery failures are quite common with our cars while IMA battery failures are next to nonexistent.

Load test your 12V battery; if you not 100% certain that it is 100% OK replace it before doing anything else to the car.

And welcome to this site, and good luck
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2016, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Plead to Honda corporate and check other dealers. Generally a salvage title is a "get out of jail free" card for manufacturers. All warranties exclude misuse, abuse and damage. It's easy to claim that a car that's been written off due to misuse, abuse or damage exceeding its value as a warranty-voiding event.

Grid charging may be a viable recovery option.

You might want to reach out to Bumblebee. It's not a product they list on their site, but I'm certain it's something they can build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wonder how Aaron fixed it because I'm dealing with the same problem. I went ahead and replaced the IMA battery, but it's still not 100%
renacaceres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renacaceres View Post
I wonder how Aaron fixed it because I'm dealing with the same problem. I went ahead and replaced the IMA battery, but it's still not 100%
I fear we will never know, he did not log in again since that post.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 11:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renacaceres View Post
Aaron's Insight had a salvage title (one that a insurance company totaled & someone fixed and sold) American Honda will not honor the warranty on such a vehicle.

Yours, unless it also has a clouded title, is still under warranty. The software updates are, in fact, a recall we owners got a letter about. A little searching around here will probably turn up a scan of the actual letter.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
Aaron's Insight had a salvage title (one that a insurance company totaled & someone fixed and sold) American Honda will not honor the warranty on such a vehicle.

Yours, unless it also has a clouded title, is still under warranty. The software updates are, in fact, a recall we owners got a letter about. A little searching around here will probably turn up a scan of the actual letter.
Same thing here, Salvage title, and to help I got it from an owner, not a dealer.
renacaceres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
new

Default What's diff. Btw 12 v battery & ima battery?

I have the same problem as this person, and have the same questions: what is the difference between the 12v battery and the IMA battery? is a refurbished battery reliable?

Please let me know asap because I am not sure how long I have before the battery dies, which leads me to my last question: what happens if the 12 V battery is not changed right away? what will happen to the IMA battery?
new is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2017, 02:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

The 12V is the little one under the hood. It powers the electronics and the 12V accessories. The IMA is the big one in the back that helps the gas engine power the car.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2017, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
new

Thanks so much! Will test the 12 v battery first, and hopefully, that is the only problem...You are a gentleman and a scholar!
new is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
battery, check engine, ima, warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in