Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
All of the Japanese motorcycles that I'm familiar with, both air and water cooled, use the cam in plain aluminum bore construction. Those are some high revving engines and many of them, like GoldWings, are ridden many miles.
# digression
That's true of most non-competition four strokes, especially on bikes from the 80s and older. Modern race-oriented engines typically come with bearings for cam journals (whether Japanese or European). KTM started using cam bearings in their 90's era LC4 engines, which were also utilized in their non-competition dual sport lineup:

# end digression

·
Registered
494 Posts
My 1953 Henry J (which has been in pieces for decades) has a cam bearing in just the front journal and it is a cast iron engine. I can kind of picture aluminum journals, but cast iron has always amazed me. Henry J's used Willys 4 and 6 cylinder engines and both engines were the same, just one cam bearing in the front journal. The 4 cyl is the same as used in Willys Jeeps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Pretty cool article. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cam in raw aluminum is true of almost any modern engine I can think of; VWs, Audis, Hondas, etc.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts