Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

My girlfriend and I have three cars between us, and all of them are two-seaters. I'd like to sell at least one (maybe two) since I am the only one who drives now, plus we're getting ready to move into a house and we need stuff like a refrigerator (and maybe a bigger car).

I'm keeping this post short since there are 3 cars here and I'm super busy with school + work. Please reply if you'd like any more information, and I will be happy to respond.

2000 Honda Insight

This is my girlfriend's car - she stopped driving years ago, so this car has been mostly unused. The paint was oxidized when we got it (it's worse now), but Scott refinished the headlights a while back, which is why they look great. Other than the HV battery being old, it drives really well since we cleaned the EGR plate and refurbished the EGR valve a few years ago to fix the herky-jerky issue.
  • Asking Price - $2000 as-is, $3000 with HV battery swap (see below)
  • Year - 2000
  • Color - Silverstone Metallic (NH630M)
  • Transmission - 5 speed manual
  • Current Mileage - 93k
  • Location - Sacramento, CA
  • High Voltage Battery Age/Condition - Low capacity. Can still start the car and provide some assist/regen. I am willing to swap the HV battery from the blue car.
  • Transmission Condition - Good
  • Engine or IMA Codes Showing - None
  • Interior Condition Summary - Okay, needs leaky trim fix
  • Exterior Condition Summary - Oxidation, some dents, leftover trim tape from chrome panels that previous owner stuck on the car.
Don't really have photos except from when we bought the car: 2000 Honda Insight

2002 Honda Insight

This car is my daily driver (well, not daily with covid-19). I get 70+ mpg with the new HV battery + IMAC&C + grid charger + my driving style. I stay in San Francisco when I have work over there, and I'm with family in Sacramento the rest of the time. Since I spend so much time in this car, it has a lot of upgrades and a lot of small/new OEM parts, like the trim at the bottom of the windows. (If this car sells, some money can go towards fixing up the silver car!)
  • Asking Price - $5000 without upgrades
  • Year - 2002
  • Color - Monte Carlo Blue (B66P)
  • Current Mileage - 123k
  • Location - San Francisco / Sacramento, CA
  • High Voltage Battery Age/Condition - 3 years old I think? Works great
  • Transmission Condition - Good - Scott tore down the transmission and said all the parts looked brand new, but he did the synchro mod and replaced seals/bearings since I didn't like the feeling getting into 2nd gear
  • Engine or IMA Codes Showing - SRS light, haven't checked code
  • Interior Condition Summary - Good - some wear on driver seat bolster, etc
  • Exterior Condition Summary - Good - some dents, chips, etc
More photos: Rusty's Insight

2005 Toyota MR2

My fun car. Willing to let it go if the price is right. Too much time/money into this thing otherwise, and I already regret selling off some mods.
  • Asking Price - $10000
  • Year - 2005 (last year this car was made, only 400 or 500 in the US, has some rare factory upgrades)
  • Color - Absolutely Red (3P0)
  • Transmission - 6-spd european transmission swap with LSD.
  • Current Mileage - 130k or 140k
  • Transmission Condition - Good. Original 5 speed with LSD (rare) also in good shape.
  • Interior Condition Summary - Good - Collapsed bolster on driver seat
  • Exterior Condition Summary - Good - hard top imported from UK, soft top deleted, some dents, chips, etc
More photos: Rusty's Spyder

Fun fact: I think Scott has seen all three of these cars, though it's been a few years since I've been over there.

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts
Nice Calif. cars. Good ad. Not sure I'd offer to swap the good battery into the lesser car, but you have different considerations:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

My girlfriend and I have three cars between us, and all of them are two-seaters. I'd like to sell at least one (maybe two) since I am the only one who drives now, plus we're getting ready to move into a house and we need stuff like a refrigerator (and maybe a bigger car).

I'm keeping this post short since there are 3 cars here and I'm super busy with school + work. Please reply if you'd like any more information, and I will be happy to respond.

2000 Honda Insight
View attachment 87498

This is my girlfriend's car - she stopped driving years ago, so this car has been mostly unused. The paint was oxidized when we got it (it's worse now), but Scott refinished the headlights a while back, which is why they look great. Other than the HV battery being old, it drives really well since we cleaned the EGR plate and refurbished the EGR valve a few years ago to fix the herky-jerky issue.
  • Asking Price - $3000 as-is, $4000 with HV battery swap (see below)
  • Year - 2000
  • Color - Silverstone Metallic (NH630M)
  • Current Mileage - 93k
  • High Voltage Battery Age/Condition - Low capacity. Can still start the car and provide some assist/regen. I am willing to swap the HV battery from the blue car.
  • Transmission Condition - Good
  • Interior Condition Summary - Okay, needs leaky trim fix
  • Exterior Condition Summary - Oxidation, some dents, leftover trim tape from chrome panels that previous owner stuck on the car.
Don't really have photos except from when we bought the car: 2000 Honda Insight

2002 Honda Insight
View attachment 87497
This car is my daily driver (well, not daily with covid-19). I get 70+ mpg with the new HV battery + IMAC&C + grid charger + my driving style. I stay in San Francisco when I have work over there, and I'm with family in Sacramento the rest of the time. Since I spend so much time in this car, it has a lot of upgrades and a lot of small/new OEM parts, like the trim at the bottom of the windows. (If this car sells, some money can go towards fixing up the silver car!)
  • Asking Price - $7000, less without upgrades
  • Year - 2002
  • Color - Monte Carlo Blue (B66P)
  • Current Mileage - 123k
  • Location - San Francisco / Sacramento, CA
  • High Voltage Battery Age/Condition - 3 years old I think? Works great
  • Transmission Condition - Good - Scott tore down the transmission and said all the parts looked brand new, but he did the synchro mod and replaced seals/bearings since I didn't like the feeling getting into 2nd gear
  • Engine or IMA Codes Showing - SRS light, haven't checked code
  • Interior Condition Summary - Good - some wear on driver seat bolster, etc
  • Exterior Condition Summary - Good - some dents, chips, etc
Upgrades:
  • OBDIIC&C + IMAC&C w/joystick
  • GCO1 grid charger
  • Infiniti FX-35 HID projector retrofit
  • Expertfabricator shoebox sub, custom order: extra strong for circular sub
  • Joying android radio with 8" touchscreen
  • Scott's upgraded springs, front and rear
  • Scott's underbelly panel
  • Air Blue 80 tint (CA legal, better heat rejection than limo tint), slightly darker tint on hatch
  • ... (will edit with more info later)
More photos: Rusty's Insight

2005 Toyota MR2
View attachment 87499
My fun car. Willing to let it go if the price is right. Too much time/money into this thing otherwise, and I already regret selling off some mods.
  • Asking Price - $12000
  • Year - 2005 (last year this car was made, only 400 or 500 in the US, has some rare factory upgrades)
  • Color - Absolutely Red (3P0)
  • Transmission - 6-spd european transmission swap with LSD.
  • Current Mileage - 130k or 140k
  • Transmission Condition - Good. Original 5 speed with LSD (rare) also in good shape.
  • Interior Condition Summary - Good - Collapsed bolster on driver seat
  • Exterior Condition Summary - Good - hard top imported from UK, soft top deleted, some dents, chips, etc
More photos: Rusty's Spyder

Fun fact: I think Scott has seen all three of these cars, though it's been a few years since I've been over there.
I would keep the blue Insight so you have one practical reliable vehicle.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice Calif. cars. Good ad. Not sure I'd offer to swap the good battery into the lesser car, but you have different considerations:)
Haha, you're on to me. I'm considering building lithium for myself, so it doesn't matter which battery pack I keep. And I think pricing the HV battery pack as a $1000 add-on creates flexibility for the buyer.

On the Silverstone, is it the original Honda battery or aftermarket?
The Silverstone car's original battery was the weakest between the two cars, so when I installed the new battery in the blue car with Scott, I returned the battery from the silver car as the core.

So now the silver car has the battery from the blue car, which I assume is the original Honda battery. It has all the wires that the refurbished packs are missing. This battery was fine for the first few years I owned it, but the capacity has diminished for sure. Maybe the fact that it was still alive when I bought the car means that it was replaced at some point.

Will check for your dm.

I would keep the blue Insight so you have one practical reliable vehicle.
Yeah, I've priced the blue car to keep and the silver car to sell. But both are great cars and I'd be happy to own either one. I really only marked the blue one up so much because of all the time/money I have in it. There are just so many little things... even the hatch struts are brand new OEM. Also, Monte Carlo Blue is my favorite Honda color. My dream collection has the three cars that came from the Honda Tochigi factory (special vehicles / R&D) with Monte Carlo Blue paint: Insight, S2000, and NSX. Unfortunately, I think the latter two didn't come to the US in this color.

I got a little off-topic there, but thanks for the interest, everyone.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If your going LTO I have 96 Fit cells (4 blocks). Maybe we can make a deal on the Silverstone if your interested. LTO is beyond my capability.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sooooooo I'm going to ask the question everyone has been to afraid to ask:

How much for the MR2 with a new IMA battery installed?? :ROFLMAO:
Forget IMA - the MR2 needs a Tesla drive unit!

If your going LTO I have 96 Fit cells (4 blocks). Maybe we can make a deal on the Silverstone if your interested. LTO is beyond my capability.
Sorry for the slow reply. Got your text - won't reply right now since it's 2am.

I'd be interested in the LTO cells. I really wanted to do something different from everyone else here, using a more typical (for the rest of the industry) lithium chemistry, but I wouldn't mind playing with these. How long have they been sitting? Have you done any capacity tests, or checked voltage recently?

--

I took the car out for a 50 mile shakedown drive to remind myself of what all the car needs, and for a much-needed hand wash (didn't have time to wax or clean the interior though). Here are my notes.

Mechanical
  • Engine revs smoothly with good power delivery, sounds fine (no exhaust leaks).
  • Transmission shifts nicely - no grinds. Slightly stiff going into reverse.
  • HV battery gives me good assist/regen at lights and hills, but overall capacity is not great. No problems with autostop/start at drive-thru. Have not done "pack whack" which would probably help.
  • Can hear AC running, but it doesn't get cool.
  • Steering wheel is off center.
  • No creaks in suspension. Feels more precise than my car, especially at turn-in.
  • Brake rotors feel warped during downhill braking, but not too bad. Car came with new front pads/rotors and rear shoes which we have not installed.
  • Needs oil change
Exterior
  • The body itself is pretty straight except for a long crease on the driver rear fender (no idea what happened - got car like that and the paint is fine somehow), and a dent in the driver door. There is also a scuff on the driver door that looks like it will buff out (other car's paint left on door).
  • Roof, hood, spoiler clear coat oxidized
  • Passenger side wheels are also oxidized - center caps still shiny. Tires are Michelins all around (energy savers?)
  • Besides the disintegrated blue tape, there is also black tape (probably 3m VHB / automotive trim tape) around the vehicle, where supposedly the dealership had affixed stainless steel panels over the original bodywork. We removed all of the stainless panels because they were either falling off or bent at dangerous angles (sharp edges), except for the panel behind the license plate which is still in place (see photos). There were also stainless panels screwed onto the wheel covers, so there are holes there now. There should be two different kinds of eraser wheels in the car, which can be used to remove the tape, but I decided I would just bring the car to a detailer for my girlfriend some day (she wanted to vinyl wrap the car in black).
  • Front underbody rubber panels have zipties in place of hardware. See photos.
  • Fastener for passenger front wheel cover missing. Should at least zip tie this before next drive. Might have spare at my parents' place, but I highly recommend upgrading to the toolless dzus fasteners instead.
  • Probably needs all new wipers - at least rear is torn (pictured below)
  • No cracks in glass. Rear tint is dark, side tint looks fine.
Interior/Electrical
  • Wet seatbelt fix needed (this is why there's blue tape on the roof).
  • The interior needs detailing/cleaning. Dirty door panels. My girlfriend has a corgi (visible in photos below) so there is hair, but no accidents or anything.
  • Driver floor mat does not stay in place. Driver carpet worn through at dead pedal. Passenger floor mat is missing.
  • No tears or broken bolsters in seats.
  • Driver window switch only rolls window down. Motor is good- I powered the motor myself to roll the window back up. I unplugged the harness to keep it from accidentally being rolled down again, but this also disabled the driver door lock switch. (The power locks still work via the remote, so my girlfriend didn't care).
  • Trip button fix needed
  • Brake switch at pedal probably needs to be adjusted - noticed regen and brake light stayed on when I let off the brakes one time, and I remember tweaking this.
  • Finicky passenger door switch (dome light doesn't always come on)
And on to the photos.

Notice chrome (i.e. not black) molding at bottom of windows. Dent is slightly visible at front edge of door.

Notice crease above rear wheel cover.

Here is the one piece of stainless steel that we didn't remove from the car:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next we'll take a look under the front bumper.

Driver front. Looks like panels are the wrong way around - maybe PO did this on purpose to hold corner section up, but it seems like it's stressing the bumper.

Passenger side.

Car is at my girlfriend's place now - I will ask her to get her stuff out and get photos of the inside.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The cool thing about the Toyota is it’s basically a lotus with a Toyota body

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dropped silver car price by $1000.
Dropped blue car price by $2000 - I think I'd rather sell the blue car and put that money towards the silver car.

The cool thing about the Toyota is it’s basically a lotus with a Toyota body

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, lots of cool collaborations between Toyota and other manufacturers over the years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts