Honda Insight Forum banner

How should I fix my transmission?

• Swap it for a used one, rebuild the origonal and swap back

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Rebuild the origonal and just put it back in

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Buy a new transmission from Honda

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Swap the engine and tranny as a whole, spruce everything up, and drop it back in

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
My 5-Speed is giving up the ghost at 276,000 miles. Here's what's happening:
  • Between positive and negative load, there used to be a grinding sound, made worse when A/C was on
  • The between load grinding sound has turned into a loud grinding and thunking sound
  • when rolling up to a stop and the engine unloaded (no compression braking or accelerating), there's a clunking from the front end that slows down with the wheel rotation
  • when rolling up to a stop with autostop engaged it makes the same thunking sound
  • The clutch affects the front-end clunking when slowing sometimes
  • There is a single clunk between gear changes when loading and unloading the engine
  • Sometimes moments after loading the transmission i hear abother large clunk that soulds like metal popping
We just finished out 7,000 mile road trip a couple months ago, so I've been able to see the accelerated degradation of the transmission that would normally occur over a period of 8 months for me.

02insight spotted a 5-speed nearby recently, but they want $650 for a used transmission.

I got a quote from a Honda dealer for $1500 for a new transmission installed.

There's a transmission on our favorite auction site for $387 plus $110 shipping.

What do you guys think my options are? I want to do this right, since a good rebuild or a new tranny whould give me another 300k miles on the car, but I don't feel like spending a small fortune.

·
Super Moderator
8,244 Posts
MedDotNet spotted a 5-speed nearby recently, but they want $650 for a used transmission.

There's a transmission on our favorite auction site for $387 plus $110 shipping.

What do you guys think my options are? I want to do this right, since a good rebuild or a new tranny whould give me another 300k miles on the car, but I don't feel like spending a small fortune.
It sounds like a bad input shaft bearing to me. That is a fairly common failure of high mileage transmissions. Jeff will probably respond and offer an opinion. He rebuilds them so is better qualified.

Problem with a used transmission is that you just don't know what your are getting. Anything over 80,000-100,000 miles will be suspect on the synchronizers - depending on how it was driven. You could easily install another transmission and not be happy with the result. If it comes with some kind of guarantee, that would help ease the pain, but make sure that you understand what specific performance is being warranted. Labor is usually a loss on these deals if it doesn't work out.

The $1500 Honda offer sounds pretty decent to me for a new transmission. I'm assuming that would have the normal warranties.

As I said, Jeff rebuilds the transmissions, replacing the input shaft bearing and modifying the 2nd and 3rd gear synchronizers to improve shifting. Not a ton of new parts, but at least it is inspected internally so you are sure to get a smooth shifting tranny. He will take your old transmission as core, if it it is not damaged beyond rebuild. Not sure about his warranty.

JMO on options.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I know Peter Perkins replaced a bearing on his transmission about six months ago.

It seems that there was another discussion from another person who documented the replacement of one of the bearings in his transmission, and again that was about six months ago.

Unfortunately I don't remember who posted the second topic.

It may be if your handy with tools and can spend some time without the car, replacing the bearing may be an option.

Jim.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I think the synchros are pretty bad on mine anyway, but it is a huge roll of the dice with a used transmission. I'm leaning toward putting a used one in so I can keep commuting while I fix my old one.

I'm pretty confident with the repair work, but I can't be without a car for too long...

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the ISB caused clunking that corresponded with engine RPM, not wheelspeed...

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
"There is a single clunk between gear changes when loading and unloading the engine"

What is the condition of the rear engine mount? I'm highly suspicious it is toast . . .

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Also check your CV joints on your axles and eliminate them as a problem before you tear it apart. Go to a parking lot and from a stop turn full left and pull away slowly, see if you hear the grinding/clunking get better or worse. Stop and turn full right and repeat.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rear mount was toast, so I replaced it. I should climb down there and 2x check the bolts too.

I asked a shop about the cv joints, because at first turning made it worse. They didn't remove the boots but said the cv joints were fine since the boots weren't broken. How do I check the cv joints?

Sent from my HTC Vision using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
47 Posts
You have got to be kidding me!!! It cost us about $3000 to have ours replaced about 3 years ago at 116,000mi when it started howling. Honda wouldn't repair it they "Had" to replace it. :(

Noticed this morning this one is not shifting as smoothly as it usually does and almost didn't want to go into gear. :( I'm at 212,000+mi.

They may not have quoted you the clutch, pressure plate, and other items you should redo at the same time though.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
You have got to be kidding me!!! It cost us about $3000 to have ours replaced about 3 years ago at 116,000mi when it started howling. Honda wouldn't repair it they "Had" to replace it. :(

Noticed this morning this one is not shifting as smoothly as it usually does and almost didn't want to go into gear. :( I'm at 212,000+mi.

They may not have quoted you the clutch, pressure plate, and other items you should redo at the same time though.
I remember reading some threads a few years ago about folks having a hard time shifting the transmission but it was related to when it got cold. Someone had found that the cable sleaves that the two shifter cables/rods run through from the shift knob to the transmission were basically gummed up. They cleaned those out and the transmission shifted like new.

I noticed that you lived up north and it has been getting cold so thought this might be something you would want to check out.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't be surprised if they were luring me into a price spiral knowing I was 3000 miles from home, they were extremely unprofessional.

I am either going to drop the tranny and partially rebuild it (scary because I don't know what's broken until I have it apart). I'm thinking re-do the CV joints while it's all apart anyway? They don't last forever...call it preventative maintenance?

I'm thinking about doing a swap to an unknown used tranny while I rebuild, or buying a beater to commute in while the insight is out of commission for an in-place rebuild.

Anyone in Houston had their transmission apart before who wants to come help?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
Noob here :D

I have 2006 insight with manual tranny and 107k on the clock,
Last week I started to hear a grinding (whining) noise in 1st and 2nd gear during take off's and also during engine breaking on lower gears.
I have 120k honda care service so I brought the car to my local dealer to see what's up.
Day later they called me with the news that one of the bearing's in the tranny went bad and that they are contacting the warranty to see if they will cover the repair.
The warranty OK'd the replacement plus told the dealer to replace more bearings and in fact they replaced total of 8 bearings plus they put in a new clutch assy which I payed for ($648.25 was my bill, all just part cost plus just over 100 bucks in work)
anyway here is a list of bearing part #'s

Qty FP Number
1 91101-PHR-003
1 91002-PHR-013
1 91004-PHR-003
1 91006-PHR-003
1 91003-P21-003
2 91005-PHR-003
1 91006-634-008

plus the clutch parts

hope that helps

Jerry