Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my IMA light came on a few days ago, and did a bypass so the IMA wouldn't kill the 12v like it had previously done. When I drive it, it's tough to manage 30+, but it has been averaging nearly 28-26 mpg. I hate complaining about it since it is still great amongst cars today, but with everyone saying they're getting 60+ I feel that there are some things that I may be able to do to get my MPG back up. I'll give you as much info as I can about my Insight.

As far as mechanical issues go;
About two weeks before the IMA light came on, I had an independent mechanic run a test for the Check Engine light, and a few codes came up.

P0500 - VSS (replaced in july, no issues since repair, code still came up)
P1457 - Evap Control System Leak
P0497 -
P1791 - VSS
P1457 + P0497 - Emissions System Low / Purge Flow

When I got my IMA checked, the Honda Mechanic told me there there were no codes aside from P0A7F so I'm not sure what had happened to the above codes.

I know it's quite awful of me to ignore this many problems, but the codes cleared, and the check engine light never came back on until the IMA light appeared. I plan on testing the cells (should I have a mechanic do it for $90, or build my own tester?) and hopefully finding out that there is only one or two out of range.

There are a few internal electrical issues;
The horn, after market cruise control and DC charger all stopped working about July of this year. I had a 3 way splitter plugged into the DC port (I know, thats quite a bit, but I was on a 2100 mile trip), and it was powering a GPS, DC to AC converter, and when I plugged my phone in, it all cut out. I assume it's a blown fuse, but I haven't found a blown fuse yet, and I cant see why it would cause all of those instruments to cut out.

As far as body issues go;
The under paneling of the front end is off until I am able to get it lifted to get under the car to reinstall it. I have the driver side fender, lower trim, and the wheel well cover off for body repair of the fender. It's taking me a while to do the bodywork since I'm at college living in the dorms, but it should be put back on by thursday at the latest.

Does anyone have any tips, or path starters to get my MPG back up without my IMA helping me along? Thanks, light and love.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So my IMA light came on a few days ago, and did a bypass so the IMA wouldn't kill the 12v like it had previously done. When I drive it, it's tough to manage 30+, but it has been averaging nearly 28-26 mpg. I hate complaining about it since it is still great amongst cars today, but with everyone saying they're getting 60+ I feel that there are some things that I may be able to do to get my MPG back up. I'll give you as much info as I can about my Insight.

Hey, if you want help working on the Insight, PM me your contact info. I am also in Des Moines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
SomeDude
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing