Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey First Gen fans. My 01 CVT has since I bought it 6 years ago usually shuddered just a little bit when I would first start moving and always became smooth by 5 mph so I decided that was normal, had no issues but 2 weeks ago I noticed it getting dramatically worse. It still smooths out and runs fine down the road but from a stop a few times it jerked so badly it felt like it might kill the engine.
138k total miles on the car, second tranny was dealer installed at 62k. So a few more miles on the 2nd CVT....... is it done? Is there an adjustment for the belt? I haven’t had the dealer look at it yet, I did do the Honda tranny maintenance.

Is it coincidental that the IMA light came on shortly before this started with P1447, P1449 codes for Battery module deterioration? and 2 days ago the IMA system has stopped functioning, no charging, assist or auto shutoff. Right after this point is when the tranny shudder became much worse, could the lack of assist cause more intense jerking? Can I drive this safely without causing a bigger problem?
Any input is much appreciated.
If anyone is looking for a first Gen project, ask me about it, perhaps it’s time for me to move on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have you ever changed the CVT oil and filters? just asking when O bought mine it was the same as yours, changed the above and judder sorted.
As for the codes grid charging will help along with the discharge routine or so I hope as I had the same code the other day

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did have the transmission oil changed March 2013, approximately 32k miles ago at the dealer, I don’t recall the car starting out any more smoothly afterward. Did you say your shudder “sorted” as in started after the oil change, meaning you didn’t have a shudder before?

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I did have the transmission oil changed March 2013, approximately 32k miles ago at the dealer, I don’t recall the car starting out any more smoothly afterward. Did you say your shudder “sorted” as in started after the oil change, meaning you didn’t have a shudder before?
Pay the extra $'s and have the Honda Service doable 'Transmission Flush' not just the cheaper Fluid Change. CVTs need to have their fluid replaced every 30k miles minimum. Only with Honda specific fluid.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I did the transmission fluid change at the dealer 30k miles ago. I took it to a mechanic familiar with Insights, he said CVT fluid was low and topped it off saying that a flush and fill of the transmission at this stage often leads to sudden death of the transmission and just keep driving the car

·
Super Moderator
4,721 Posts
Ger a new mechanic. The CVT fluid should be changed every 15K. Change both filters. Use only Honda CVT fluid.

A failed IMA will require the gas engine to work harder, changing the behavior of the CVT, particularly if you accelerate hard. This is most likely what caused the changes you are feeling.

What are you going to do about the IMA? Have you been grid charging?

Sam

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ger a new mechanic. The CVT fluid should be changed every 15K. Change both filters. Use only Honda CVT fluid.

A failed IMA will require the gas engine to work harder, changing the behavior of the CVT, particularly if you accelerate hard. This is most likely what caused the changes you are feeling.

What are you going to do about the IMA? Have you been grid charging?

Sam
I did the simple IMA bypass tonight, so gas only now. The only mechanic I could find that has done any work on these first gens said the CVT filters were internal and could only be accessed by opening up the transmission. He told me 3 times that he felt changing or flushing the transmission would do more harm than good.
The only significant changes driving is the first 0-10mph more shuddering and doggy slow until the rpms get higher.

·
Super Moderator
4,721 Posts
That is correct. You have to drop the transmission pan. Just a few bolts. You drain it first so you don't make a mess.

He is DEAD WRONG about not changing the fluid. And nobody said anything about flushing. There are a ton of posts, here and otherwise, about Honda CVTs being sensitive to fluid changes. Do some research.

Sam

·
Registered
2 Posts
I been have some shuddering at low speeds for my CVT as well. I just ordered parts for a transmission job; got gasket, filter, strainer and the two o-rings,and fluid. Once I install the parts, I will update everyone on the results.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I been have some shuddering at low speeds for my CVT as well. I just ordered parts for a transmission job; got gasket, filter, strainer and the two o-rings,and fluid. Once I install the parts, I will update everyone on the results.
I need to do mine, let us know how yours goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interested to hear how this turned out. Exact situation with IMA timing and everything. Looking into grid charging.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ok, today I learned more about this jerky stuff in my ‘02. One is at start and feels like it may stall out even. But feels fine after about 5 miles per hour. The other is a bucking bronco at high speeds, for example going above 65. And feels like it is lurching forward and then backwards.
Shout out to Natalya for explaining this to me and fixing one of them. The high speed one was fixed by her removing and cleaning the ERG plate. It was really clogged up.
I’ll post an update when we sort out the jerking at startup.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
You know, I’m not sure it’s enough to indicate a pattern, but these earlier (usually ‘02) CVTs seem to have this issue... mine does. It started at around 160K. I’ve been using it ever since it started and have drained and filled religiously, also did the filters. It is not as bad as it used to be, believe it or not. Mine doesn’t feel like it will kill the engine anymore. Well, maybe once in a while when the temps are way high.

I’ve had the EGR issues and sorted them, but experience something a bit different under heavy acceleration or load (ie, sometimes at high speeds). That “bucking” on the high end, for me, is accompanied by flaring of RPMs... but REVERSE from normal. They drop by a few hundred each buck.

I swear it seems to be an ‘02 issue, as I’ve seen a few posts about it, and that is the 4 out of 5 commonality. Other than the issue below 5 mph and the one under load at faster speeds/under acceleration, it acts absolutely normally.

My next try is motor mounts.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’ll post an update when we sort out the jerking at startup.
I fixed it! Thanks to Scott’s suggestion. The jerking or rough start from a stop was caused by a broken rear motor mount. Now it starts as smooth as silk.
(I posted a few tips on how to replace it on another thread.)

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts