Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which BCM is 'best' for maximizing MPGs? When I switched from the *A01 to the *030 I noticed a big jump due to the reduction of hidden background charging. I just purchased a *A00 of eBay for a good deal so I'm going to try that one and see what happens.

I'm curious if the older BCM revisions (i.e. *010 and *020) would give me even better MPGs then any of the units I have now.

Anyone know?
:D

·
6,935 Posts
I've been wanting to collect all the different BCM revisions to see what I could come up with.

Supposedly 010 is the best, but it also has a cold weather charging bug. Don't think that would affect you in CA. ;)

Someone else was recently talking about an A00 BCM. I'm interested to try something like that... very first revision? Sounds like I need to keep an eye on eBay more.

I hope you don't get too used to that 030 BCM, assuming it's the one we traded an OBDIIC&C Gauge for. :D

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope you don't get too used to that 030 BCM, assuming it's the one we traded an OBDIIC&C Gauge for. :D
hahah yeah that is the one. I'm just, uhhh, testing it for you ;-)

I've been wanting to collect all the different BCM revisions to see what I could come up with.
Sweet, maybe you can test this A00 unit at a finer level than my butt MPG dyno and we can see what it does. I assumed it was between the *030 and *A01 versions, but that is an absolute guess. The eBay auction said it came from a 2004 Insight - 1K100-PHM-AO0, 7681-103901

Supposedly 010 is the best, but it also has a cold weather charging bug. Don't think that would affect you in CA. ;)
Sweet! I have a lead on one that I am waiting to hear back on right now :D

·
6,935 Posts

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. I'll report by my impressions after it arrives and I can drive on it for a few days.

Also, I have an 1K000-PHM-070 MCM. It appears that's a later 'updated' version. Would an earlier MCM make any MPG difference?

·
6,935 Posts
I'm really not sure. I'm not sure how you would quantify it. With the BCM, it's easyish to tell if the background charge routine is different.. I'm not sure what would be different with the MCM.. assist/regen aggressiveness, perhaps?

I want to get my hands on an 010 BCM.

·
Registered
737 Posts

Someone else was recently talking about an A00 BCM. I'm interested to try something like that... very first revision? Sounds like I need to keep an eye on eBay more.

I was surfing the web over the weekend and found an 010 for $54.00. Is that a fair price or can they be found cheaper? And the cold weather charging bug, what are the details on that? It does get a little chilly here in IN.:)

·
6,935 Posts
Oh.. Umm.. No, that's a terrible price! Quickly PM me their information so I can scald them for trying to rip people off! :p

Apparently the first revision BCMs can overcharge the batteries under certain cold weather conditions. That's all I really know.

In all seriousness, if you don't pick it up, I would like to. If you do, I may be interested in buying the BCM it replaces off of you.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Oh.. Umm.. No, that's a terrible price! Quickly PM me their information so I can scald them for trying to rip people off! :p

Apparently the first revision BCMs can overcharge the batteries under certain cold weather conditions.

In all seriousness, if you don't pick it up, I would like to. If you do, I may be interested in buying the BCM it replaces off of you.
LOL:D After doing some research, they should be ashamed of themselves for selling it for that price.;) It took me awhile but I found it again. Unfortunately, it was an Ebay item and had already been sold.:( It was used and the donor was an '01 with 107,793 miles. I should have snatched it. My BCM is likely to be an 070 as it was replaced under warranty in March 2010. Back to the searching.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It took me awhile but I found it again. Unfortunately, it was an Ebay item and had already been sold.:( It was used and the donor was an '01 with 107,793 miles.
I have no idea who purchased the item that you speak of . . . . :rolleyes:

I know of another for only about $20 more (shipped) but I want to make sure the first seller actually has it before I pass along the info for the second one. (It was an old stock item and he was verifying it hadn't been 'lost' before getting back to me).

·
6,935 Posts
:D LOL

Looks like I need to watch eBay more. ;)

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My BCM is likely to be an 070 as it was replaced under warranty in March 2010. Back to the searching.
Sorry to hear that. If you don't want the *010 due to the cold weather bug, I'm going to have an A00 and A01 for sale in the semi near future. I'll be selling them for a very good price, just trying to recover the cash I spent on the other ones.

·
6,935 Posts
All your BCM are belong to me!!!!!!111oneone :D

AFAIK, the latest BCM is A01.

070 is the corresponding latest MCM.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Sorry to hear that. If you don't want the *010 due to the cold weather bug, I'm going to have an A00 and A01 for sale in the semi near future. I'll be selling them for a very good price, just trying to recover the cash I spent on the other ones.
I'm not too concerned about the overcharging thing with the 010. Let me know how much when the time comes. Just don't tell Eli.;):D

All your BCM are belong to me!!!!!!111oneone :D

I'm going to have to see if I can find the receipts from when my pack was replaced to find out just which one I do have.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Wait, I thought the 'evil' MPG killing BCM version *070 is the latest version that came out in 2008 or so - subsequent to the A01 vision?

I think the latest MCM version also ends in *070, at least that is the one I have. This confused me for a while, but from the BCM/MCM tracking spreadsheet, it looks like several people have the *070 MCM, with no ill effects:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsCIWnPHFF4KdHhRSlZ3ZjRzbFZoQ2Z6d1JVa0JUalE#gid=0

I was confused, but thought I sorted this out, but maybe I was wrong (in which case I am really confused hahah)

·
6,935 Posts
haha... Hmm.

Well, I had my battery replaced under warranty in early 2010 and received an A01 BCM and 060 MCM.

I thought that the MCM had since moved to version 070 but the BCM stayed at A01.

·
Registered
737 Posts
haha... Hmm.

Well, I had my battery replaced under warranty in early 2010 and received an A01 BCM and 060 MCM.

I thought that the MCM had since moved to version 070 but the BCM stayed at A01.
Eli, if you got the A01, it's quite likely I did too. Mine was replaced in the Phoenix area in March the same year.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Looking at that spreadsheet: Man, manual transmission owners care a lot more about their BCM/MCMs :)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Looking at that spreadsheet: Man, manual transmission owners care a lot more about their BCM/MCMs :)
Or MT Insights have had more IMA battery pack replacements during which Honda updated BCM's and MCM's.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
IIRC, That database did not exist the last time I had my IMA cover off to install the BCM gauge wires in my blue 2003 CVT Insight. It has 116K on it and the battery / ECM / MCM / BCM have never been replaced and I owned the car since 5k miles. I never had a recal in this car and battery last a very long time using assist. If I ever remove the cover again in the future, I will try to remember to jot down the info and put it in the database. My red 2004 CVT Insight with 188K miles had the IMA battery work done under warranty but I wasn't the owner then and I never had that IMA cover off yet. I have seen 3 or 4 recals on this car in the past 10 months of ownership for the 2004 red CVT. The battery does not seem to be as "strong" as my blue CVT (the bars gone down faster under assist - but never an IMA light yet). My black and blue 2001 MT Insight had IMA battery replacement done out of warranty by some other place (besides Honda) 100K ago and claims the BCM was also replaced on the paperwork. I was not the owner of the car back then either. The MT car has 288K on the odometer with a engine replaced about 70K ago and new clutch installed back then. The replacement engine had 30K on it so 100K for total miles (picked it up for $1,200). Haven't opened up the IMA cover for that one yet either....Waiting for the Spring when the weather gets warm.

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts