Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a decent DIY wrench. Can do Volvo brake jobs in my sleep - calipers, rotor, pads.

How long should it take me to R&R a radiator, all associated hoses and thermostat with car on ramps and using only hand tools? I have the printed factory service manual for an '00 MT Insight. I work methodically, not slowly.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
After installing make sure it is bleed properly, as shown here:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very familiar with the coolant burp procedure. Thanks Willie.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, so I am laying out my parts this morning (I bought all new hoses, clamps, etc.) and I notice that the transmission cooler lines that run to the radiator (Genuine Honda parts supplied by Majestic per their online parts diagram) are unlike anything I've seen before. Their diameter appears too large for the hoses involved -- they slip over quite easily, and I can't figure out how they are supposed to work. They appear to have a built in catch mechanism, but I have been unable to release, then re-engage the catch. With the catch engaged, the clamp slides freely up and down the associated rubber hose. What am I missing here? Do the clamps engage when the catch is released? This is not intuitive to me.

Admittedly, I am not trying the clamp with the line slipped over the radiator fitting, but I don't think that will increase the diameter enough to make a tight fit.

Also, once I remove the old stuff, I'm committed and I'd like not to have the car disabled for a while.

So Dave, it is looking like more than a 1.5 hour job.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I would wait for scott to chime in or just use the original hose if its In good shape. Time is your freind ,dont rush something you enjoy doing .i love working on these cars and its a joy to me .

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want to rush it, but my time is tight on the weekends (lots of youth soccer refereeing), so I have to squeeze my repairs into narrow windows.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I understand .Post a picture of clamp and hose and give other members a chance to respond. I never order the kit i just replace my hoses with normal clamp style set up.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
IIRR, click on the pic. logo (insert image) at the bottom of your reply box. Then insert photo. I usually use the click and drag method (old school)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so the clamps are pre-spread and will close and tightened when released.

Not doing it today since I have to get the car inspected tomorrow. I can't afford an unsuccessful repair.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Passed inspection. Now I can get on with the radiator R&R.

Looks like I'll give it a go tomorrow, 9/26.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

So, this is the radiator I took out today. I think it's the original. No mystery as to the origin of my cooling problem.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Note to anyone contemplating this job. Genuine Honda clamps from Majestic did not fit the genuine Honda upper and lower radiator hoses. They are just a hair smaller in diameter than the original clamps on the car. I ended up reusing the old clamps. The new ones were just frustratingly undersized.

You know that size . . . just close enough to make you waste a half hour thinking it will work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts