Honda Insight Forum banner

02 sensor failed at 36k

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Pantera 
#1 ·
2000 model with 36k miles, primary O2 sensor failed now warranty on this?

#2 ·
Dezoris said:
2000 model with 36k miles, primary O2 sensor failed now warranty on this?
I guess there is not, the dealer wanted $440 for the LAF sensor.
Bought it on Majestic Honda for $210.

Is this common to have this sensor go bad, with such low mileage?

#4 ·
o2

What prompted you to take it to a dealer? Running bad? CEL light?
What was the CEL code? Sometimes you can get a false code, code should be duplicated by the dealer before replacing.
I don't think I've heard of a sensor "Failing completely" engine would probably either "Die" or run in limp mode...?
Did you buy the car from a Honda dealer? How long did you own the vehicle. Even on used vehicles dealers normally have a limited warranty.
Price of o2 sensor #1 in Calif. is 250 from dealer......Labor and testing 1 hour labor...............Assuming they did that.
Need more details.

Willie

#5 ·
Re: o2

Willie Williford said:
What prompted you to take it to a dealer? Running bad? CEL light?
What was the CEL code? Sometimes you can get a false code, code should be duplicated by the dealer before replacing.
I don't think I've heard of a sensor "Failing completely" engine would probably either "Die" or run in limp mode...?
Did you buy the car from a Honda dealer? How long did you own the vehicle. Even on used vehicles dealers normally have a limited warranty.
Price of o2 sensor #1 in Calif. is 250 from dealer......Labor and testing 1 hour labor...............Assuming they did that.
Need more details.

Willie
I bought the car used in December 05 with 32k miles
BP owned it for testing various fuels for improving air quality MPGs and emissions.

It spend most of it's life indoors on rollers and on a test track.
After buying it within a month I had a CEL that went away in a few days.

Another 3k miles I got another CEL, went away.

Another 1k miles CEL on same stretch of road, same type of trip.

Another 1k miles another CEL.

I have noticed some low end chugging and bogging/surging.
The CEL was not activated by this.

After the last CEL I brought it in to have the codes pulled, they said all the codes were for O2 Sensor 1 malfunction. I did not get the code number, however I believe them

#6 ·
MY O2 sensor failed around 50k miles. What happened was the heating element on it failed. SO when the exhaust temp reached a hot enough temperature for the sensor to function properly, I could clear a code and drive a very long time with no issues.

If you still need help on this I can email you some of the diagnostics that I received.

#7 ·
I just swapped out the sensor, the only thing I notices was a lot more studder and shutter.

I will wait to see if I get anymore CELs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.