Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been lurking around for a while. Eventually purchased an 03 CVT last week from a local dealership. It does have 120,000 miles, but seems to be in good shape physically.

I've never driven another insight before but it seems like when accelerating after coming to a complete stop the car shakes and seems to have trouble kicking in up until about 4-6 mph.

It kind of stutters or jumps until it gets above that speed then it seems fine. I think it might be affecting mileage, but I'm more worried that it could be a problem.

The dealer drove me home when I got it last week and said that was just the engine engaging but it seems a little too violent to be normal. He told me I could bring it in and have them look at it if I wanted.

It was an "as-is" deal but I think I'm gonna go back and see if the mechanics have any help for me.

But first I thought I'd ask you folks if anyone had heard of this happening or had it happen to their own cars.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi t4haughton and welcome to the forum :!: :)

Guess you've missed some recent discussion on the CVT's and shaking/ shuddering.

IIRC mostly they've been "scattered" in other threads as the topic drifted. :|

So far the "fix" appears to be more frequent fluid changes and using the reintroduced CVT specific Honda ATF formula. If your more than 30K overdue by the severe maintenance schedule then a "flush" (three ATF changes back to back in succession) may be required for the full effect.

See:

Honda reintroduces CVT specific ATF
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3364

for the PN and a pic.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
When I switched over to the CVT specific fluid recently, I did notice less shake/shudder when starting out form a stop. It still does a little, but I still need to do another drain/refill to remove the remainder of the ATF-Z1 fluid that Honda put in (against my request), @ my 30K service.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Does your shuddering occur RIGHT when you are starting from a stop? When I test drove my CVT before I bought it, I noticed that the car stuttered from a stop...I realised that it was because I was not coming to a complete stop and I hadn't put my foot on the brake hard enough at the stop. (I know it sounds silly, but it made a difference...I think perhaps the car was in an almost auto-stop and then I tried to start again and it would stutter.) Anyway, I hope this helps :)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Having finally been able to drive a CVT Insight and my own Civic Hybrid lately I finally know how they're supposed to act. If you go from the brake (in auto stop) to the gas really quickly you'll get nothing at first so your instinct is to press more, then by the time the engine is up to speed and the start clutch in the transmission begins to engage you'll launch pretty hard. I've learned to let up on the brake and let the car start moving before pressing the gas helps. Now this doesn't necessarily sound like your problem in particular, but it's something to consider.

The likely cluprit is the transmission fluid, another possibility is the start clutch is not engaging properly, you can try the CVT relearn procedure posted here:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3404

1 - 5 of 5 Posts