Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2002 cvt last month for $14,800. My kids have taken it over and now I never get to see it. I ordered a 2004 five speed and it will be here in the next few weeks. Does anyone know what I should expect to pay for it?
I don't think I'll be able to let it sit for two years and get another great deal.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
re: new 2004

The sticker price should be $20,280. (I believe all North America cars will have A/C ). Being that the car was customer ordered, it is unlikely the dealer will discount it more than about 800 to 1000 dollars. But still, try and offer $18,000 and see what happens. What color did you order? Are they CERTAIN they will have it in a few weeks?? Also be aware that most Honda dealers quickly add a 2nd sticker, a dealer's addendim. It shows AMV (additional market value) of around $1500 and maybe floormats for $90 or some other accessory with a high profit. So they may actually ASK $21,800 or so for the car. Then, they try to trick you by offering $1500 off their already inflated price. This is a typical scenario. Good luck, Billy....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They sold three insights in the last four months. Mine was the left over left over. According to the sales mgr he didn't want any more to sell, but Honda has alotted him at least one and since I'm the only one to show any interest I picked a red five speed with the new blue as a second choice. When I asked him what it would be selling for he said depends on how long he's stuck with it. He claims the car will be in his next shipment of 2004s (he hopes he only gets one).
I did find two five speeds in MA but they want $18,000 for an '03 and I think I'll wait for the '04.
Thanks for the input,
Rick

·
Registered
67 Posts
The '04 model comes stock with floormats now I believe... and dealers seem to be including (at least from what I've seen) the cargo net as well, without prior knowledge that this is an optional accessory.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have bought one or two new vehicles every year for the past 15, I bought a new Insight last month for $14,600. and the dealer paid the sales tax and floor mats.
Believe me, the dealer wants to sell from a strong position. If you order a car that you MUST have and it is HARD to get, you will pay too much. This dealer in particular HAS to take at least one Insight in his next order, if he thinks I'm going to buy it that's fine. Once he has a car on the lot to sell he WANTS to sell it. I now have the stronger position. If you put a deposit on a car that money is refundable for any reason (in New York), even if you sign a purshase and sale agreement you can change your mind.
It's always better for the dealer to worry about selling it for a while before you seem interested.
NEVER buy a car the day you go to a dealer.
ALWAYS compare pricing/options with other dealers.
NEVER trade in your vehicle unless there is so much wrong with it you can't sell it.
If you do trade it in, get a cash price for the new car first, so you can compare apples to apples.
No matter what you do to the dealer, if you buy a car you will be his best buddy-they are in business because they make as much money on each deal as they can.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you purchase any Honda for $20,000+ they include floor matts. Dont forget you still have title, and tax, and of course OPTIONS:) dont purchase the cd changer its $600, and deff. not worth it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Motor Trend Feature

I read today in a recent Motor Trend mag about the 04 Insight coming standard with CD changer and 4 speakers. Thought someone who hasn't heard that yet might want to know...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts