Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Wife's 2006 Civic is chugging real bad. It has 200k on it. The only thing ever changed was the plugs and filters. Does this car have problems with the ERG like the 2000's did? :confused:

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Not sure this belongs in the G1 forum.

The first place I'd look is the coil packs, and a spray bottle of water on any vacuum hose you can find.

Any CELs?

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I picked up a 2006 Civic hybrid with 441,000km. It was running very poorly. One of the plugs had the negative post completely eaten away and all the plugs' gaps were too large. It also had a fair bit of carbon/varnish buildup in the throttle body. It's not on the road yet so I'm not finished the tuneup but it is certainly running better with the new plugs. A bracket has to come off to access the rear plugs so that would be an ideal time to adjust the tappets.

I haven't checked the EGR sytem yet.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
P0139 is a slow response from the O2 sensor. O2 sensors can sometimes cause weird feeling engines.

P0A7F... is this a hybrid? That's an IMA Battery Deterioration code.

·
vote 4 mawah
272 Posts
gen2 hch 06

Mine, without NAV has 112000 mi with a P0A7F and dash gauges ( SOC, assist, charge ) behaving badly for the last 3 months ( coincidentally a week or two after it's last scheduled dealer service, I wish I knew for sure ) as I try to figure out how to best work with it.. But unless paying close attention to the gauges or dealing with aggressive commutes when assist drops out at unwanted times, it's hard to notice a difference in the cars handling. At least that is what the other driver says. :)

I just did the EGR on my 02 civic 1.7l in september as well as the lower right control arm that the dealer missed when replacing both front stabilizer links in late 06.
I will be doing the EGR passages again and the hch EGR passages in the spring. I know I didn't get the passages very well on the first run.

At around 200K I'd assume the EGR passages are at least a bit dirty.
Honda Automotive Parts
I'll have a better idea after I get the passage covers off.

You'll also notice the the engine in the hch is turned in the opposite direction of the engine in the regular civic. So the O2 sensors on the hch are between the engine and the firewall and are four times the price of the normal civic O2 sensors.
Part Detail
Doing a tuneup and adding 8 oem NKG plugs, I've seen a set of 8 on ebay for $83 but I've also seen then on sears web page for $35 each plug.
8 NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs IFR5G11K 3107 for Honda Civic Hybrid | eBay
As I mentioned above my pack is throwing the P0A7F- pack deterioration code and I'm learning about what my options are for dealing with that. The car is still in really nice shape otherwise.

In a perfect world I would get ODB snapshots and freeze data and have the $2k bosch scan tool the dealers use. Honda MVCI Kit plus the hds,
sold separately and not to the general public
For now the service manual and self diagnostic without the HDS will have to do.

first post, hope I don't step on anyones toes...

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Any progress on this issue? I just bought a second HCH2, '06. After about a week of normal driving besides the occasional P2A00 mentioned below, it is now running horribly. IMA system seems fine with a newly refurb battery (no recals, assist as expected). Completely gutless above 1500rpm. Will run smoothly at cruise under 50mph. Idle hunts and auto-stop is intermittent.

As of this morning, it's throwing a boatload of codes (from dtcsearch.com):

C1555 - Unknown
P0003 - Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit Low - P0003 DTC Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit Range/Performance
P0055 - HO2S Heater Resistance Bank 1 Sensor 3
P0103 - Mass or Volume Air Flow "A" Circuit High - OBD-II Trouble Code: P0103 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit High Input
P0155 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 1 - OBD-II Trouble Code: P0155 Oxygen O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank2, Sensor1)
P0255 - Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control "A" Intermittent (Cam/Rotor/Injector)
P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected - OBD-II Trouble Code: P0303 Cylinder 3 Three Misfire Detected
P0403 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation "A" Control Circuit - OBD-II Trouble Code: P0403 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Malfunction
P0503 - Vehicle Speed Sensor "A" Intermittent/Erratic/High

Occurred by itself before all these, but is no longer occuring:
P2A00 - O2 Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1

New Mobil 0W-20 oil, new Honda CVT ATF, new air filter as of this past weekend. Ran great Mon and Tue, but started acting up yesterday.

The only other issue I can identify is that the heat shield on the passenger side of the second cat appears to have a hole in it, and it rattles. Car spent the first 200k miles of its life in MN, so I'm assuming salt/sand as there is minor body corrosion.

I have the luxury of a second identical '06 HCH2 (same color, no nav) that I can use as a spare parts test car. I plan to check plugs first and go from there.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
It's possible you have a bad engine ground causing all those errors. I don't think it's likely you would lose that many sensors at once.

Otherwise I would check your engine wiring harness for teeth marks very carefully.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
It's possible you have a bad engine ground causing all those errors. I don't think it's likely you would lose that many sensors at once.

Otherwise I would check your engine wiring harness for teeth marks very carefully.
Thanks for the feedback. lol... that's a good one. I'll keep an eye open for torn insulation and fang marks :)

I forgot to mention two things...

1. For a few days prior to the CEL kaleidoscope show, it was very lightly "stumbling" during accel when cold, but it would smooth out shortly thereafter.

2. The CEL flashes under anything but the lightest acceleration. Google-fu reports that as an active misfire. It stops blinking and goes steady about five seconds after I'm at steady-state.

The prior owner really neglected this car. It was 2.5 qts low on oil. Fortunately (I hope), he only owned it for the last 7000 miles or so. Unfortunately, he got scammed by the prior owner as it had a new odo installed with only 85K on the clock when it actually had over 202K on it. We paid a low price, and I was smitten by the fact that it came with a spare pack, so hopefully, I'm not into this for thousands to get it to a reliable state :)

Thanks again,

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Follow-up:

$121 for new NGK plugs (dealer wanted $173 for the exact same plugs). One of my coils (driver side rear, #1?) looks like there's been a moisture or coolant issue. I'll probably swap it out with HCH2 #1 to see if there are any changes. There also appears to be potential corrosion in the tube where the spark plug is mounted. Otherwise, the spark plug, though horribly worn, didn't look any worse than the others.

NGK was in the front, DENSO in the rear. They all had 2X the gap they should have and had severely worn electrodes.

Car runs smooth and strong, but I did go back to the solo "P2A00" code, and I seem to be getting slight detonation, but it's hard to tell because the car is so damn quiet.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Follow-up to the follow-up:

P2A00 error (O2 sensor) and P0420 (first Cat) codes came back. I replaced the upstream O2 sensor with the Denso 234-9034 from my local O'Reilly's. It's the Denso P/N for the OE sensor. It was spendy at $200, but it can be had from other sources for less, but it's still pretty spendy.

There was still a slight stumble at accel. I swapped all the front coil packs with my other HCH2, and the stumble moved. I isolated it to a single coil pack and replaced it with a Hitachi OE style from Rockauto.com for less than $60. Fit perfectly.

The "pinging" turned out to be plugging of the EGR ports in the intake manifold. Two of the four were completely obstructed. This was a very easy fix and only took about an hour to do both cars. HCH2 #1 with 133K mi didn't need it, but it should go for a long time now without concern.

I'm still getting a P0420 cat code, and monitoring the downstream O2 sensor voltage with my ELM32 Bluetooth OBD-II unit and the paid version of Torque strongly suggests the cat is truly dead (sloppy sign wave, and voltage typically north of 0.7V). Unfortunately, I can't read the upstream O2 sensor to compare. Rockauto sells the downstream denso 234-4350 for cheap. I bought it but haven't installed it. They also sell aftermarket cats for $250 or so. I'll replace both at some point.

Hope this helps somebody out there...

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
S Keith
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing