Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Have any CVT owners noticed a semi-moderately violent shaking/jerking of the car during normal acceleration?

My brand new Insight has only 1,800 miles on it and I fear something is terribly wrong. It has shaken on me three times out of the last 6 times I've driven it. RPMs were normal (between 1800 and 2500) and I heard no odd noises. The car just started violently shaking back and forth for about 3 seconds, then continued to accelerate as if nothing happened. The pedal was perhaps half way to the floor at the very most.

Ideas?

·
Registered
95 Posts
My CVT Insight dose a small jerk (like the clutch was released than engaged again) after 5 miles or so of driving. Usually it dose this while accelerating but some times at cruising speed. I’m not too worried, the clock has just started ticking on the warranty.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no warranty

No warranty for me. Bought our car in Ohio, and imported it into Canada. That's why this problem worries me so.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Check the transmission fluid level first.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Rick said:
Check the transmission fluid level first.
I had the same problem (as I interpret it from your description) until I had the tranny fluid replaced. The level may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had similar trouble after purchasing my '02 CVT used. Flushing the transmission fluid twice at the dealership made it much better! Still get the occasional jerk, but nothing near as major. I agree with other posters, the fluid sounds like the first place to look!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Insight jerking

Lee said:
My CVT Insight dose a small jerk (like the clutch was released than engaged again) after 5 miles or so of driving.
I've had it on my mind to describe just this kind of thing with my '06 MT. Since I've only experienced it about 3 times in the first 1000 miles, I was waiting to see if maybe it was due to some aspect of the breaking-in process before I started 'crying wolf'.

In my case, it has indeed been not much more than a small (but obvious) jerk - definitely not violent shaking :shock: I hesitate to surmise a pattern yet, but it seems to only happen in the first several miles of driving on a given day, and at a point when I'm in either 3rd or 4th with the indicators telling me to shift up (but I hadn't because in each case I knew I'd be reducing speed for a stop light or something very soon).

Fortunately I'm very much within warranty ;) Just to be on the safe side though, I'll double check the fluid levels.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Aren't we mixing apples and oranges :?: A CVT(Contnously Variable Transmission. Read: "automatic") is a _VERY_ different animal vs. a 5 spd.

Transmission related noised, jerks, bucks, etc will by definition have VERY different causes.

:?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everybody. I will definitely check the CVT fluid. However, what's odd is that in the past 600 miles (1000 kms), I have not experienced the shuddering again. Still, I will check tonight!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have had the small jerks that the other poster described, not the violent shaking.
Is the warranty voided completely when imported or can you take it to the us and get it worked on?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have warranty in the U.S. only. We could take it in, but it's a very long drive and waste of an entire day if the dealer can't find a problem and just sends us on our merry way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts