Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been going through the forums all day trying everything I can but nothing quite fits.

Drove to a park to ride my bike. stopped at the entrance to pay and it wouldn't restart. (just realized it wouldn't autostop either, i had to turn it off) just a slight click and all the usual noises and lights.

I was able to bump start the engine and everything ran as normal. But the same thing happened when i went to leave. bump started again and drove an hour home like normal praying i wouldn't stall it.

The car did not attempt to auto stop.
The battery is 1 year old and functioning normally.
the 12v is charged and a jump didn't help

I've replaced all 3 ground straps after cleaning all the surfaces.

I bridged the clutch position sensor with no change.

i turned off the HV battery and the car did not attempt to use the 12v starter....

I'm out of ideas.

·
Super Moderator
8,848 Posts
Codes?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No codes.

Cleaned and tightened the negative to be sure, no luck. all the accessories are working. even able to run my 12v air compressor without any signs of low power. Should only need enough 12v to run the ECU to use the HV starter.

·
Super Moderator
5,294 Posts
When you turned off the IMA and tried to restart, did you hold the key in the Start position for a few seconds? It doesn't start immediately when reverting to the 12V.

Sam

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not. i'll give that a try in the morning

the IMA assists and regens normally when bump started. what could cause that

When you turned off the IMA and tried to restart, did you hold the key in the Start position for a few seconds? It doesn't start immediately when reverting to the 12V.

Sam

·
Administrator
12,725 Posts
Is the IMA PDU fan (white) in the back running when you turn the car on?
Not the battery cooling fan. (You will probably have to open up the back to detect if it is running.)

If you have an HDS clone or OBDIIC&C what is the MDM/IPU/PDU temperature.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I held the key in the start position for 10 seconds and got nothing. There was a humming coming from behind the passenger seat. was that the PDU fan? I have no OBDIIC&C. can i use my obd2 dongle to get any of these readings?

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Could it be the actual key ignition cylinder thing - working in the key-ON position but not the start position? I seem to recall a few reports of worn out ignition cylinder switch thingys...

·
Super Moderator
5,294 Posts
Let's not rule out a bad 12V starter.

Sam

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
^ hmm, seems like we got a few different problems/symptoms though. I guess the first is that the car didn't/isn't auto-stopping. The second is that it's not starting on the IMA. The third is that it's not starting on the 12V starter, either.

It could be the starter motor - but then that wouldn't explain not starting on the IMA. It could be the key cylinder 'start' position - but then that wouldn't explain the lack of auto-stop...

I think maybe we're back to Peter's ideas... I guess in general I don't see 'lack of auto-stop' as an iron-clad symptom, because it can normally be something that's a bit hit or miss, depending on the exact sequence of driving events leading up to the 'expected' auto-stop event, etc.

I think Peter's thinking 'bad IGBT' or whatever, something over 'on the left'. I don't recall the exact symptoms for that...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a weird combination of symptoms. I was also thinking it was maybe the ignition cylinder but there are some signs of life when i turn the key to start (clicking from relays). I'm going to bump start it when I get home and double check it isn't auto stopping. But I'm fairly certain it wasn't.

also, when in the start position the radio and other 12v items shut off.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Before you get too far into it, get the 12V battery tested. Sounds just like my car when the 12V battery still looked like it was charged but had near zero capacity.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will, but even on the charger in jump start mode it showed no interest in starting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
EUREKA!

The bumper the clutch switch presses against had deteriorated and fallen apart. I saw the pieces in the foot well and dug a little deeper into the pedal and saw the culprit. I don't know why bridging the lead didn't work but i have the right answer now.

New problem. I've removed the pedal assembly and the return spring for the pedal has unwound. I have no idea how to retention it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
found this thread. I have the spring in this position and it really doesn't seem right.

·
Super Moderator
5,294 Posts
Good work!

Sam

1 - 20 of 24 Posts