Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello second gen forums. I've never actually posted here before, feels sorta funny being a newbie on a site that I have posted on thousands of times.

We at Hybrid Automotive are planning to release a second generation Insight grid charger system in a few weeks. The fan drive is solved, just need a car to fit the rest of the harness onto and to finish some install instructions.

Is a grid charger package with deep discharge compatibility something that would be of interest to you friendly four door people? ;-)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I got one of the dumb chargers made with a few mean well power supplies Ive been using. For cooling and to power the relay I leave a dummy key in the ignition turned on and a 12 volt battery charger on the starter battery to keep that system up.

Discharger? Any proof that works? Does it help you measure or at least guestimate capacity? I think being able to tell where you stand would be nice so as regular maintenance you can check stuff and see.

I find I need to balance every 4 months and it takes about 36 hours.

Terminates between 122 to 121.7 volts.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The second gen Insight uses the same NiMh sticks as the Civic Hybrid and first generation Insight. We have many customers with those vehicles that have been very happy with the charging & discharging process. I am optimistic that the same positive results can be obtained on the second generation Insight as well. :)

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
I got one of the dumb chargers made with a few mean well power supplies Ive been using. For cooling and to power the relay I leave a dummy key in the ignition turned on and a 12 volt battery charger on the starter battery to keep that system up.

Discharger? Any proof that works? Does it help you measure or at least guestimate capacity? I think being able to tell where you stand would be nice so as regular maintenance you can check stuff and see.

I find I need to balance every 4 months and it takes about 36 hours.

Terminates between 122 to 121.7 volts.
I'm a G1 guy myself. But here's my 50 cents worth on discharging, I had good results. I nursed an ailing pack on my 'Red' for a couple years while saving up for a replacement pack. I combined grid charging with deep discharging.

Grid charging would provide balancing benefits to a point. I would track miles traveled (as a measuring stick) until symptoms returned. Miles traveled would get progressively less after each grid charge (I'd use 3 grid charges), eventually the car would code after only a few hundred miles of travel.

Then I would go with a series of 3 grid charges and deep discharges. I could routinely run 3,000 miles after a 'reconditioning' that included deep discharge. Over time the mileage would decrease again, and I would 'service' the pack with just grid charging until down to a few hundred again.

I can't speak for the G2, or to what degree of discharging to suggest. I can definitely attest to the improved benefit to the G1 pack the combination of grid charging and discharging provides.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would it be useful for charging a parallel booster pack at say 117 Volt?
Hrmm, sure should work. I'd keep the two packs isolated while charging just to be safe :)

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in for a "plug n' play" set up. I have a 2013 but I rather not wait till I need one!
Thanks, we will be sure to post it hear as soon as it is released. It will be plug and play, everything needed to charge and balance the pack will be included. :)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Thats whats nice about the Mike DB2K charger as its completely universal.

Would it be useful for charging a parallel booster pack at say 117 Volt?
I can say from my use of a dumb charger I get improved ima performance, but no measurable change in mpg. Havent done the discharging thing yet. I dont see myself going to that extreme when better batteries are available for sale. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts