Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got an 09 Honda Civic hybrid, and it’s problems. My IMA light is constantly on, (bad hybrid battery), my VSA light and ! light are on, and my car has decided to begin jerking when accelerating at least once during a trip the last few days.

VSA I’ve noticed comes on during a turn, but it also just comes on randomly.

The jerking is random, it can be at 45, or 80. It seems to happen between 2.5-3.2 RPM’s, usually on a hill, but it’s jerked on flat pavement going 70. It typically will do it while I’m trying to accelerate or keep a steady speed up a hill, and it’s almost like when you’re stalling out in a stick. I can see the RPM needle shudder sometimes when it happens.

It’s got about 205K on it, I’m about 4K over an oil change but that will be done soon.

I have read with the jerking it could most likely be spark plugs or fuel injectors. The VSA is where I’m very stumped. My car jerked once before, but since doing it daily in almost each trip, is when the VSA and ! lights have appeared.

any insight is appreciated. Taking it in has to wait a week, but if I can guess around the problems I can estimate a possible cost.
Thanks!

·
Administrator
13,086 Posts
You need a new IMA battery.

Your bad old one has shown up the shortcoming in the 12V battery and system in general.

A low/bad 12v battery can cause vsa issues and all sorts of weird problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need a new IMA battery.

Your bad old one has shown up the shortcoming in the 12V battery and system in general.

A low/bad 12v battery can cause vsa issues and all sorts of weird problems.
to be clear with that, you mean a new hybrid battery itself? Or is there another battery within the IMA system that I don’t know about?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You probably need both, an IMA battery and a 12V battery
would I be able to skate by with just getting a 12V? Also I’ve read the IMA has cells, is it possible to trace the worst cells and replace those to give me more time with it? Ultimately I want to purchase a new vehicle in HOPEFULLY about one year, and realistically I’d like to keep it as long as possible.
I’m new to the hybrid game, and I appreciate your reply!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
would I be able to skate by with just getting a 12V? Also I’ve read the IMA has cells, is it possible to trace the worst cells and replace those to give me more time with it? Ultimately I want to purchase a new vehicle in HOPEFULLY about one year, and realistically I’d like to keep it as long as possible.
I’m new to the hybrid game, and I appreciate your reply!!
Replacing cells in an IMA battery is quite challenging, but it is possible. I have done it.
You can find all about it in my thread.
Keep in mind that the first few pages in my thread contain a lot of wrong assumptions. I was still learning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts