Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I went from Tulsa to San Bernardino, Calif., and back. One the trip west, our 2000 Insight averaged 62.0 miles per gallon. Heading back east, the mileage was 63.9. It was a mix of two-lane roads and interstate highways.

Some observations:

-- Prevailing winds do make a difference. It's almost impossible to not get better mileage driving east than driving west.

-- Road conditions help mileage. My best mileage was on the interstates of New Mexico, which were the smoothest of the states I drove.

-- Trust the instantaneous mileage meter. Several times near Albuquerque and Cajon Pass, I thought I was going downhill. But the grade was so steep that it overcame the highway dip. My mileage of 45 and 50 miles per gallon reflected this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
rwarn17588 said:
-- Prevailing winds do make a difference. It's almost impossible to not get better mileage driving east than driving west.
i agree. i find that driving N or S are equally safe, but whenever my trip requires E/W i find that i try to plan my route so that the heading-W leg i try to moderate with as much N/S as i can ( eg, NW or SW ), and then on the E part, i usually try to go straight N or S as much as i can and then straight E as much as i can.
-- Trust the instantaneous mileage meter.
also, do not forget to toggle over to Km/h now and again. the "Km/h" instantaneous meter is superior at providing a better resolution as to how minute changes in throttle affect Fuel Economy (FE), and the "MPH" meter is superior at providing a better resolution for your FE over large distances.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts