Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just bought my 2012 honda insight (white) about 1 month ago and I'm really liking the excellent mileage. I came to this forum to learn various techniques of hypermiling and adapted my driving technique and achieved this mileage.
1. Removed all excess baggages
2. Switch off aircon when possible (I drive and live in a very hot climate)
3. Cruise control and using the dials to accelerate / decelerate rather than foot pedals whenever safe / possible.
4. Gradual acceleration and deceleration whenever possible
5. Drive within speed limit most of the time
6. ECON mode on
7. Check tire pressure in inflate time higher than recommended specs without increased road noise
8. Foot off acceleratior when going down slope / hill
9. Swtich off aircon at traffic lights (I realise this will prolong the duration of AUTO STOP)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've just bought my 2012 honda insight (white) about 1 month ago and I'm really liking the excellent mileage. I came to this forum to learn various techniques of hypermiling and adapted my driving technique and achieved this mileage.
3. Cruise control and using the dials to accelerate / decelerate rather than foot pedals whenever safe / possible.
6. ECON mode on
7. Check tire pressure in inflate time higher than recommended specs without increased road noise
9. Swtich off aircon at traffic lights (I realise this will prolong the duration of AUTO STOP)
I just bought a 2010 ex and have been trying to apply these things to my driving. I have not seen numbers like this but congrats!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I can't get near those figures, even at 50mph... best Ive got is 67mpg imperial gallons, whats that about 54 mpg US...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
BS? Maybe.
First of all, Aurorasea, what is your location and what are your driving conditions? Hot, OK, but flat too?
Are those MPGs imperial or not (15% difference...)?

I can get about 49 mpg in city driving and up to 75 mpg on stretches on the highway, on the level, no wind, doing 55 mph following slow lane traffic (at a respectable distance as ever).
Per tank it is 60 mpg (US) tops, doing all the tricks.

If you measure consumption by the MID readout on relatively short stretches you can get pretty much anything, depending on conditions.
One way to get reliable consumption data is by keeping a tank log. After several tanks you'll see improvement and trends.
Here's my tank log: 2011 Honda Insight Elegance Gas Mileage (Red Devil) - EcoModder.com.

As you can see the 60 mpg season is starting right now.
This is mostly a 22 mile (one way) commute, but also some shopping, local errands, family outings etc. The commute is the mpg builder, the rest lowers my overall average by about 3 mpg.

I am sure I can get over 80 mpg on a closed and level circuit, no wind, mild temperature, driving 35 mph on cruise control for hours on end, no (further) mods.
Anything under 80 mpg is plausible under the right conditions.

I do use A/C when I need it; preferably in Auto mode - Auto mode is quite efficient in Eco mode; generally the more you change the settings on the ventilation system the worse that works out for FE.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Na, I can't touch this. England is too hilly, and I would have to take every incline at 80mph to regen down to 50mph, and even then the traffic behind me is coming up at 70mph, meaning I just cant do it, and there are not too many long flat stretches.

If I try hard, setting cruise at 67mph, ill get 60mpg... thats it. If I hypermile, maybe 63mpg. I once got 67 but that was hard... all imperial gallon figs.

My ave urban Mpg is about 40-45 imperial gal.

I have to do the stupid L/100km conversion, and thats comfortable 4.5l/100km - which is fine by me.

Rough conversion: 52mpg US as an absolute upper limit... never more... thats with AC off and feathering the throttle, and just me as a passenger.

I can get about 1.5-2mpg more using high octane 99 RON unleaded, but the price premium as about the mpg gain, so it makes nil difference.

Yaris D4D makes the same figures really.

I want to see photographic evidence of these MPG figures, just a phone snap of the instrument display would be good to post up, then I'll believe what I read.

It boils down to this: if I have to get somewhere on the highway, I'm looking at 58mpg Imperial, 48.5 US, driving at the 70mph UK speed limit. Every 1mph over that is about 1mpg less per 100miles, every 1mph less is about 0.5mpg more I think.

On the plus side my SOC is about 80% after a highway run due to the rolling inclines and declines. What's good is that I live lower than the first 10 miles of highways, so it charges up well on the return leg.

The other thing that I have implemented in my mind is the law of diminishing returns. Going from a car that did 30mpg to one that does 50mpg highway has reduced fuel costs by about 60-70% already, the additional savings from 50mpg to 60mpg are relatively smaller.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i think it cam be done, but not average it!

70 mpg, well maybe! i did a trip from new york to philadelphia, in the rain, durring a hurricane, with defrost on, wipers, music and went 65mph and i averaged 54.3 mpg! now if one hypermiles i think one can get maybe 70mpg, i dont think he can average that though!

·
Registered
16 Posts
i like to see some proof!

6. ECON mode on
i like to see some photographic proof! i have a 2012 insight and the best i got was an average tank of 49.7 mpg, now i have achieved that by 3 tanks now!, also i have tried my best to hyper mile and i have gotton 56.6 mpg for 80 miles! now saying you get 70 mpg, i would assume that is on an average or did you just see those numbers briefly? like riding down a hill for 2 miles?

so please take a picture of your average tanks, they are listed on your trip meter! i like to know how many mpg do you average per tank?:confused:

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
The later models have some changes to improve MPG.

It takes about ten thousand miles and an oil change before you start to see some nice mpg. It also helps to air up your tires, block part of your grill and be more conscious on how you drive.

Try turning eco mode off or on. Some get better mpg with it, others without.

Also if you can try different routes to work.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a 2014 and if I take trips that are mostly speeds of 40-45 mph, I have seen mpg as high as 64 to 66 mpg routinely for the entire trip. I actually did a post on the results in this forum.
On the last fill I was averaging 53 mpg without even trying. I am absolutely satisfied with my results and this car. Last fillup was like 7 bucks for 170 miles or so. You can't beat that with a stick!
I live in a hilly part of Florida and I can see him getting those mpg if he stays at a constant speed, does some slow accelerations and has flat terrain.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Same with my 2013... average MPG is 53-56. Have measured a couple of tanks significantly higher than that driving rural roads with speed limits of 45-55 mph

Just mentioned in another thread that I took a couple of trips south to the Boston area from Maine, about 2 hours on interstate one way with 3 people aboard, 70-80 mph and saw 49 mpg. Speed kills MPG. Last tank with one trip to Boston area and then back to rural roads saw that 49 mpg climb to 53 mpg after a couple of days. It continues to slowly climb.

This car can get some great MPG numbers. I keep tires at 40 psi front and 38 psi rear. Use regular gas, usually Shell or Gulf. Have not seen any difference in MPG with those fuel brands.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree with you Foresight, speed does kill MPG's with this car. Like I said, the sweet speed for this car seems to be 40-50 mph. If I do that I easily get 60-65 mpg. Not to shabby!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Speed kills MPG for all cars over a point. It's usually somewhere in the 40-60 mph range depending on engine, aerodynamics and gearing. For a car its size with a gasoline / petrol engine the I2 still gets great fuel economy keeping up with the traffic at 70mph plus.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts