Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a note on MPG--

Have owned my 2010 Insight EX for exactly one year and driven it 15,058 miles. In that time / over that distance I've fueled it up 41 times, averaging 46.5 MPG (US) overall.

It's used primarily for a daily commute of ~ 25 miles each way over a mix of suburban, heavy commercial, freeway, and local rural roads, mostly at 45-55 MPH; it's a fairly hilly route with some short steep grades and a couple of long grades and +/- elevation changes of ~ 500 ft.

On multi-lane roads I generally stick right to the speed limit and let the traffic pass; on 2-lane roads if there's anyone behind me I generally do 5MPH over the limit to avoid being shot. I use cruise control with Eco mode off to keep a steady speed, so I'm sure my average MPG could be a bit higher if I used Eco and varied my speed to match terrain.

Still very happy with my Insight, and sad to see the model discontinued. I'm hoping it means Honda's ready to introduce the FCX... ;-)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Npt bad. Do you have any eco modifications like a grill block, increased air pressure in your tires, etc?

With eco off I was never able to exceed 47 mpg in my model.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks--no mods at all, not even increased PSI. Just learned to drive steady and find the spots on my commute that are best suited to coasting/light foot-work.

I'll probably look at rigging up a half-decent looking grill block for next winter, and use the tips I just found in another recent thread (idle in 'N' rather than 'D' when waiting for the engine to get up to temp, etc.) to try to cut down on loss of MPG in sub-freezing temps--a cold engine has been the biggest tank-killer for me.

·
vote 4 mawah
275 Posts
I had the dealer install an engine block heater I bought two years ago 06 civic Engine Block Heater
I also stuffed the upper grille with 3/4" pipe isolation and got about 5 mpg more last winter. But the commute is only about
7 miles which barely gives the car enough time to warm up much less add to the average mpg.

Next year I'm planning to add insulation in the trunk and a heater plus a heater in the back seat in an attempt to keep the pack warm.
Since the engine block heater only heats the coolant I'm also looking into a oil pan heater.
I want to wire them all up to one plug and mount it something like the plugins use.

It will be interesting to see how efficient I can make all those heater work together. Hopefully, I'll be able to switch on the heaters an hour or two before
I go, than just start it up and drive. I probably wouldn't get it all setup by next winter, but that is what I'm working towards.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Id like to get 2 dip stick heaters, one for the engine, one for the cvt. Then get a battery charger/maintainer. Precharging the starter battery helps for short trips under 10 miles.

·
vote 4 mawah
275 Posts
as long as theres space in the fluid for the sticks without getting in the way of any moving parts
I'm still not sure I can drop a stick heater into the oil pan safely.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Pretty good MPG.. I think I'm like one of the worst Insight drivers lol, only averaging around 38-40 MPG after 3+ years on that car.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Pretty good MPG.. I think I'm like one of the worst Insight drivers lol, only averaging around 38-40 MPG after 3+ years on that car.
47 mpgUK lifetime for me and there's 1.2 UK gallons to a US one. Puts me about the same. I put it down to relatively short average journeys an being in a hilly area.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just for fun -- a pic of my best calculated (partial tank) mileage.

I love it when I can basically coast the 3 miles downhill from the gas station where i filled up just to see that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
YAY, its in ENGLISH too. :D I suck at dividing bars by kilowatts per a liter or what ever the "other" unit of fuel economy measurement is. :evil:

Interesting it goes to 199 as some insights only go to 150. I think mines only goes to 150. Wonder if we went the same stretch plus a mile or 2 if in the end we achieve the same mpg? IE does the car track more than what it can display?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Why not try cruise in ECO mode? Should still allow you to keep a fairly steady pace. What part of the country do you drive in?

For those that want to start up with a somewhat pre warmed engine and CVT, if you have a garage, you can stick a trouble light with a 60-100 watt bulb in it under the oil pan. Should keep it somewhat warm.

I had a very large old blanket that I would drape over my small commuter car when I lived in Montana and used a trouble light to keep the engine from cooling down too much. It worked really well. In 30 below weather (that was quite a few years back!) I would have usable heat in the car by a mile down the road. I did insulate the garage, but it wasn't heated.

I kept the light on a timer, so it would shut off after I pulled out of the garage.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
You can get the block heater and clip for like 50 bucks. I use a 10 gauge extension cord and a ten dollar timer to operate it. 2 hours reduced the time the blue light goes off 2 minutes. Car is like 100 degrees.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
FYI, I cant measure any benefits mpg for the block heater, it just makes it more comfortable. A gen 1 guy had made a block blanket and swears it helps. I know running the heater in the winter uses more gas or reduces mpg.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update on MPG--

Have owned my 2010 Insight EX for a bit over three years now, and driven it over 49,000 miles, bumping the odometer to 86,000 mi. In that time / over that distance I've fueled it up 128 times, and bumped the mileage up to 47.25 (US) MPG overall.

It's still used primarily for a daily commute of ~ 25 miles each way over a mix of suburban, heavy commercial, freeway, and local rural roads, mostly at 45-55 MPH; it's a fairly hilly route with some short steep grades and a couple of fairly long grades, with two elevation changes of 500 ft. in each direction. In Western Pennsylvania I spend a good chunk of the year dealing with wet, snowy, or icy roads.

In order to get that MPG, I generally settle down in the right lane on multi-lane highways and stick to the speed limit, letting the traffic zip past; on 2-lane roads if there's anyone behind me I generally do 5 MPH over the limit to avoid being shot. Most of the time I use cruise control with Eco mode off to keep a steady speed--it varies too much with Eco on.

So far the only non-scheduled maintenance items are a new set of tires in January 2015 and a replacement starter battery (bumped it up to the 51R) earlier this month.

I've continued to use my Thule rack when I'm hauling bikes, and found that it has not damaged the rear hatch at all, as some feared.

Still no mods. Might have to get around to some before too long!

So:

Still very happy with my Insight... & will seriously consider another if Honda launches a Gen 3 in 2018, as rumored.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts