Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a piece of truck tire that pulled the 175A Anderson connector against the road, and made a mess of the wire.
While repairing the connector,I did a lube and inspection of my E-Wheel.

The motor brushes are only down by about 1/4 in, with an estimated 200-500 actual miles of use.

The forced air blower bearings were toast, so I will have to find a better way to cool it.
I have a few photos at:
http://www.99mpg.com/Projectcars/TheBestHybridmix/

While the E-Wheel allows city driving at up to 30 MPH, it is no use above that as the 4:1 final drive maxes out in motor rpm.

I want to convert it to a 60MPH 2:1 ratio, but worry that the scooter tire will not hold up to that type of abuse. Can anyone suggest a tire/wheel of about 12.5-13" diameter that is rated for 60 MPH?
I was thinking a small trailer tire?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mike would a Mini Cooper (old version) do the trick? Here's a sampling of 10" mags which w/tires might be the right diameter.
http://www.7ent.com/sub.cfm?pageid=243

Trailer is a good idea. Might there be a shaft drive scooter or motorcycle that would include the entire rear swing arm and allow you to mount the electric motor to the body? There'd be a built-in gear reduction and such an assembly would have its own brake too.

-John

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike swing arm was an early idea, but because of the extremely tight fit of the assembly, no stock swing arm would fit.
I can't tell from the photos, but it looks like the tire outer diameter must be well over 13". I have narrowed my final drive ratio to 2.8-3:1, after a test ride with the rebuilt system.

The wheel/tire that I have was for a racing scooter.
Since it will not be supporting the car, so what if it blows up. Just lift the blown tire and drive home. A dynamic test.

BTW
I got 105 MPG for the complete 20 mile round trip, with a big hill climb at the end that dropped me from 110MPG. Will charge back up tomorrow, it is supposed to be sunny. :D ;)

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was fully charged by 3PM.

An Air plane wheel sounds interesting, but may be too wide.
The biggest issue with the E-Wheel is the limited space. The present tire is only ~3in wide, and the fork would be a bear to modify. I think I will go for 45-50 MPH top speed, and take my chances. The scooter should have been rated for that speed. I will order the drive components this week, and just give it a try, will order another tire while I am at it.

On a powered trailer, there would be lots of possibilities, including John's suggestion of a Mini wheel.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I thought of an airplane wheel, but discarded it as it seems to me they'd be built for very high impact loads, but not necessarily for sustained running?

A project I worked on last year included rebuilding Ontario, CA's runways and taxiways for the new AirBus A380 cargo version. I can't remember the weight off-hand, but the target landing section of the runway had to be something like 38' thick high strenth concrete. (with progressively thinner sections further down the strip) Not that those tires aren't carrying a frightful dead load even at rest, but the landing impact is incredible.

I tried inputing some Mini tires in to this handy on-line diameter calculator
http://www.precisiongear.com/pgtechtire.htm and they all come out somewhere north of 19" overall!

Mike, I did find some AG and ATV tires in the right overall diameters, but I know nothing about them, especially whether or not they make on-pavement versions?

-John

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mike, a big pickup blew past me this morning on the freeway towing a small portable cement mixer. He had to be doing 90 and the thing was tracking straight and true behind the truck. It seemed to use two pneumatic tires of about 9-12" overall diameter. I think your point was a good one, since the tire won't be supporting the Insight, there isn't that much risk should it blow out on you. A small trailer wheel will probably work fine.
-John

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trailer wheel/Scooter wheel, pretty close to the same thing, I have already invested a lot of time making this one fit, so I may as well stay with the one I have. The threads are already worn off of it, and I am expecting to see the chord soon, so it will be interesting to see how long it will work at 45 MPH.
;) If only their were more hours in the day.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mike, I also want to add some EV propulsion to my car. Did you look into modding one of the rear wheels on the Insight to
add a shaft with a U joint ? Kind of like a mini drive shaft. I am thinking of getting a rear wheel hub and swing arm assembly from
my local wrecking yard and seeing what I can do.
Also incorporating an electrically operated clutch or maybe a one way bearing would allow the car to go fast and not have to spin the
extra motor.
Question: Does the Insight start it's ICE if it's in neutral and 'something' pushes it around ? We want to be able to drive in EV mode.
-Les

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
lesdit said:
Question: Does the Insight start it's ICE if it's in neutral and 'something' pushes it around ? We want to be able to drive in EV mode.
-Les
No.

But , since the Brakes are powered by the ICE... you may want to add a mod to keep the brakes functional without the ICE running.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is what the insight rear suspension looks like.
http://www.99mpg.com/Projectcars/TheBes ... ring.jpg,0
Of course this photo has my air bag added to the stock assembly.
The point being, the spring will have to be moved if you expect to get a drive shaft through there.
Where do you mount the motor?
Take a look at the drive of the aptera:
http://www.aptera.com/images/6.jpg
The e-wheel works in a similar way.
I was thinking that a large custom machined timing belt sprocket welded to a stock insight wheel , and the drive motor mounted outboard the rear suspension hinge point with it's center or rotation on axis with the rear arm hinge point would be the cleanest way to go, as the wheel weight is only increased slightly, the motor is mounted on the chassis so it is sprung weight. Using a brushless motor would provide little drag when un powered.
Notice that the aptera is using potenza re 92 tires.
;)

·
Registered
466 Posts
mike, stick with the trailer/scooter tires. small airplane tires are, in fact, made for impact resistance, not long distance travel. in fact, many tires are blown after a long, hot taxi to the other side of the airport. there are other factors in the mix, but basically they are not made for continuous rolling duty.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mike, I see what you mean about the spring.
I can machine a tooth ring to be welded to something, that's a good idea.
What do Gates and other belt people say about belt VS chain efficiency these days ?
I know belts are low maintenance , Harley has been using them for a while, after all.
-Les

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the 1/2" width gates belt has held up to the strain quite well. I broke one belt by dropping the non rotating wheel and motor assembly at 60 mph. It just went bang and that was it, did not damage anything else. A chain is just too difficult to keep clean and lubed under there.
My read is that belts are better for automotive applications.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts