Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight, one of my co-workers asked to borrow my car, so that he could take
a new girlfriend out on a date. Of course I said f#@$ no, and he then
quickly offered me a hundred dollars to borrow my car! (for only 4 hours!)
His girlfriend works at a honda plant just outside of Indianapolis, and he said a few of the workers came out to ask him about the car, which I thought was pretty kewl. She said they have an Insight in their lab, so they are somewhat familiar with the car and she was somewhat impressed that my buddy was driving it. (he's going to go look at buying one tommorow)
When I got the car back, it only had about %30 of the battery charged (never has been below 3/4) and my MPG for the trip went down a few digits, but I can overlook it for the Ben Franklin.
Anyone else been bribed to loan out their Insight?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ohh yeah, on my day off one morning I was woken up early by my dad who said his Suburban wouldn't start (bad starter was what the problem was) and he needed to borrow my car (it is his car technically after all) . After moaning and groaning for a few minutes I got him the keys and tried to give him a short run down of how he should drive it. I think I got across down shift to 2nd and try to be as light on the brake as possible. I was still tired at the time so I gave up trying to explain it half way through.

I think he drove about 13 miles city there and back. He was stoked that the fcd was reading I think 64 mpg. I told him, no I had worked for it to read 73mpg over the last 50 miles, you single handedly brought it down to 64 in that little distance. He drives pretty aggressively. I wouldn't recommend an Insight to him because he'd never be able to keep the battery charged because of his short driving temper. When I got back in the car later that day the battery was only at about 1/3 charge. Uggh, I knew that was comming. Between force charging and doing the longes possible regen's I was able to get it back up to a normal level a few miles later, but I'm going to make it mandatory he gets a driving lesson from me before he gets to drive the car again.

·
Registered
211 Posts

I haven't loaned mine out, but your talk about the battery discharging reminds me of a questions I've seen partially addressed in other threads: If you aren't running the battery down pretty good, does that mean you aren't taking enough advantage of the power stored there? Is it an indication you need to drive differently to get the best mpg?

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Inisighter,

I don't know about other people, but I drive extremely cautious, rarely using the assist. I read alot how people recommend you floor the petal to the metal to take advantage of the assist, but It just doesn't feel right to me.
I'm no insight expert, but I think my milage is going pretty good.
I have 1,500 total miles with a 58.2MPG lifetime, and I'm at 72MPG for this tank (100 miles so far)
Feel free to try both driving methods, and posting the MPG results.

Sorry, but I don't have it in me to drive my car hard!
I hasn't even seen 70MPH yet (and it my never!)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah The Day I bought it my dad asked to drive it (the same one that was bitching at me to drive conservitly in my teen years) so he backs out to the street and revs the engine to 4000 dumps the clutch and burns rubber for about 15 ft then at the top of the hill I hear a nice 2nd gear scratch. I was livid. He was impressed with the accelleration and drivability I was impressed that I didnt kill him. Oh he is also my mechanic so if he breaks it he fixes it. The moral of the story is DO NOT LET ANYONE EVER DRIVE THE CAR, ESPECALLY DRAG RACERS! and that the insight has some sort of limited slip differental and will spin both front tires on a drag strip launch.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I probably tend to be overly cautious with my Insight, or any car I own for that matter. I've had my Insight for almost 3 years and in that time I've only let two other people drive it! And only with me in the passenger seat! $100 ain't enough to pry the keys from my hands, I know that much!

·
Registered
180 Posts
My dad drove mine before I did simply because he got to the dealership an hour before me. Even though he did scratch the tires when pulling out of a side street, I can't blame him for something I have done as well :)

But I don't think anyone else will be driving it anytime soon, and not without some extended training time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I let my wife drive mine and she enjoyed it. I trust her, too. I also let her son drive it and vowed to drop the battery down. He did, by george. As far as I am concerned I don't mind how my wife or anyone who borrows my car drives it. The car is, after all, transportation. I only worry they will crash it.

2001 silver 58K miles on it #4081

1 - 8 of 8 Posts