Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my 2000 insight (purchased in Feb w/113,000 now has 124,000) in to the local Honda Dealer because I got the ima module recall letter. They were supposed to run a diagnostic check on the engine for rough acceleration right after shifting gears and take look at my trunk lock (it only opens when you have the key in an turned all the way to the right). They changed the modules (I guess) and they said they "diagnosed" the trunk lock ($85 + tax + a 10% "shop supplies fee" = a $100 screwing) and threw in for free the engine "diagnosis" that I needed new spark plugs. Since the genius service guy put down rough idle instead of rough during acceleration they didn't even know what they were looking for, but that is the least of the problems.
Now my IMA, Check engine and 12v lights are on. I brought it back and they said that it was unrelated to them changing the modules. So after they "generously" threw in a free diagnosis (a...holes), they said that the 100 amp IMA fuse is blown and they want $230 to repair it. I told them what they could do with that and I went and got the fuse myself from another local Honda dealer. (Paid $77 compared to their $110 for the part). I have now replaced the fuse and reset the IMA system (Disconnected the battery and fuse 18 ). Now when I start the car it is using the 12v system to start, the IMA system shows three bars on the charging meter for about 3 to 5 seconds, then I hear a click in the IMA compartment (Covers are still off) and the system quits and all of the warning lights come back on. So now I don't know what to do. I want to go back to the first idiots and tell them their "diagnosis" was only part of the answer, since there is a cause for the fuse blowing (and it is most likely something they did when changing they modules) so they can continue to "diagnose" it for free (I will not pay them a cent since there was nothing wrong with this system until they put their hands in it). But they are such Idiots I am afraid to take it back there at all and think I might be better off just paying someone else (I know it will most likely be just another Honda dealer, but they all can't be as bad as this one, can they?) to get to the bottom of it. Any suggestions, or even better has anyone else come across this problem and know the cure?
Oh, and my AC stopped blowing cold also, I would still drive it otherwise, but this is summer in FL, AC is not an option.

Update:
After sifting through some other posts I found how to jumper the codes and have an IMA code 12 and a check engine code 69.

Update:
I also turned the Ima system off and back on, and pulled fuse 18 and replaced it and now the IMA system is working again (for now) and so is the AC.
The check engine light is still on (code 69) and the srs light is on (Code 92), forgot to mention the srs before, the mechanic at the dealer said it was a power failure code (as in - the battery was disconnected at some point) and he would re-set it, but he never did. Anyone know how to re-set it and if this is infact a power failure code?

Thanks for all input.

·
Registered
102 Posts
IMA code 12 = P1576, Motor Drive Module (MDM) Voltage Problem
CEL code 69 = P1600, P1601 IMA System Malfunction OR
P1644, MOTFSA Motor Control Module Signal Malfunction OR
P1645, MOTFSB Motor Control Module Signal Malfunction.
SRS code 92 = Internal Failure of the SRS Unit. If intermittent, there may be an internal failure of the power supply.

Resetting the SRS DTCs requires a special "MES" connector. The Manual says don't use a jumper wire.

IMHO, this whole mess could have started with the MCM replacement, if they actually did it...
:?
- Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update

Thanks Jim,
I managed to get everything clear and the IMA system working, until I drove to work today. About 8 miles into the drive, IMA out again, check engine on again. I will detail the progression because it seems strange to me. After I got the IMA working and all of the light s off the system charged to full in like 3 miles (it has never reached full before). Also , I was not getting any assist in 1st gear, but was getting full assist right away in all other gears (very rarely, actuallly I don't ever recall seeing the meter at full assist). After the IMA system quit and the warning lights came back on, the IMA battery dropped down to one bar, but by the time I got to work it was at 2 bars even though the system was not showing any charging happening. I pulled the codes whe I got to work (yes I am keeping the jumper in the car now) and now in addition to the IMA code 12 I am getting am IMA code 78. The check engine light is on, but is not flashing a code now. Oh, and the ac stopped working, but I turned the main IMA switch off and on and now it works even thought the IMA is not working.

·
Registered
207 Posts
This is precisely why I'm dreading the thought of taking my 2003 CVT Insight to my local Honda dealer for the BCM upgrade. I spoke with a guy in the service dept. to see if the dealer would give me the revised BCM to install myself if I were to bring the old one to them for exchange. No go. The swap has to be done by a Honda dealer, no if's and's or but's......which I feel is a crock of bull. I priced the BCM module thinking that I might just buy it and install it myself. $1800.00 for the revised BCM. :roll: I may just stick w/o the BCM upgrade for now until I can figure out a way to keep my car out of harms way at the dealership. I just don't trust anyone to mess with my car other than myself, especially dealerships.

I say take your car back to the dealership that messed it up and politely demand that they repair the damage that was caused by their untrained monkey-brained mechanics.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
You could disassemble your Insight to the point of the 4 bolts that hold the BCM down. Heck you could remove thse too. So all the'd have to do it unplug and replug. Have'em do it in the Service lane while you watch.

It will still be 100% driveable in this condition. Then you can "easily" inspect their work and reassemble to your specifications.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts