Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's time for the 105,000 service. I'm also changing the brake fluid as I don't think it was done at 90,000.

Is there anything in particular I should watch for? (Other than the bleeding of the coolant system?

Does the coolant go in full strength or do I dilute it? I didn't see that anywhere I've looked.

Thanks,
Robert

·
Administrator
12,283 Posts
Coolant

Kevin Dougherty said:
The specified Honda coolant is not diluted.
This may be a confusing answer Kevin. I hope my reply helps.

The Honda coolant supplied in the UK is the correct strength as supplied, and is added neat to the system, it is a 50/50 blend of water and the proprietory ingredients. So it needs no further dilution. I imagine it's the same in the US but you never know.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for reading the post and giving me the answer. I checked with the dealer and they said it was pre-mixed.

It is, however, a different color... blue instead of green. The parts guy said that animals are less likely to drink the blue. I thought they saw in black and white??

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't think the color really matters to animals as much as the smell and taste does. If it is not enviormentally safe anti-freeze, keep it away from all animals and dispose of it properly.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
In my experience, all of the coolants taste equally good. The "low tox" stuff is just less likely to kill you when you drink it.

Make sure to follow the coolant bleeding instructions in the service manual to the letter. This is very important to keep air pockets from developing in the head.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the service yesterday, and it was pretty much as the book describes. I was surprised how long it took idling to get the radiator fan to come on twice.

The best thing I bought was a Sta Lube fluid pump. Less than $10 at the auto parts store. It will screw on a wide mouth quart bottle or a gallon jug and has a sqeezable ridged end on the transfer tube that grabs the threads in the fill opening to hold it in place. I used an empty mobil 1 oil bottle and put the transmission fluid in it. 20 pumps later it was empty.
It saved a bunch of time, and was not too messy.
robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts