Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my check engine light pop on the other day and had the codes read at my local Advance Auto store and it showed a code of 1163. This supposidly ponts to the oz sensor closest to the engine block. The fact that the check engine light came on didn't surprise me since Iv'e been putting up with that pesky miss in the engine at slight throttle pressure. After reading this forum on cleaning the EGT I did so and fixed that problem. Now I'm getting ready to go on a long trip in the Insight and wonder if I should replace that oz sensor before I go or not. I had the codes reset and have not had it come back on as yet. I'm concerned about possibly damaging the Cat converter by ingnoring the code. What does everyone think? Should I replace it or ignor it hoping that nothing is wrong and maybe it was a fasle alarm? I know the sensor is $200+ but thats a lot cheaper that the converter.. HELP

Rick Lewis

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,876 Posts
P1163 indicates the number 1 O2 sensor is "slow to respond", doesn't mean it isn't working. Did it happen right after you started the engine and drove away?, if so it appeared because the engine wanted to go into lean burn but wasn't receiving the proper signal from the o2 sensor. (Possible not warm yet as it has a heater, takes about 90 sec to warm up) The o2 sensor is very touchy about contaminants: oil, coolant, carb. cleaner, etc.

"Catylst converters" are normally destroyed by over rich running engines. They become clogged and create too much back pressure on the exhaust system. The "first cat" is self cleaning through the use of the 2nd o2 sensor (2000-2001) behind the first "cat.", the second "cat" is an absorbative (sp?) type. From 2002-2005 a 3rd o2 sensor was added after the 2nd "cat". to monitor the condition of the second "cat".

Unless you get another MIL with the same P1163 a short distance after clearing the code, I wouldn't worry about it. If the sensor was really bad, there would be a definate deteration of mileage and performance....MY OPINION.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Very true. That sensor is critical to the operation of the car, and even a little "drift" will cause huge drivability problems.

However, make sure you have the latest ECM update applied. It corrects spurious codes relating to the LAF (1st O2) sensor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. So far I havent seen the check engine light come on again. The car is running perfectly and my milage has increased conciderably since I cleaned the EGR valve. I love this forum, it's saved me lot's of headaces and money. Thanks again ya'll

Rick Lewis

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I had the same scenario this past weekend: P1163 came on, checked at Advance Auto who found "No fault at this time", reset the light and it has not come back on in 4 days..

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts