Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Honda Insight has 38k miles, and has had the IMA light come one twice then off. Codes were p0562 and p1448. Voltage reads as low with the ignition on; 11 point something. p0562 is described as "voltage low". When driving, the car will always regen uphill, and does not assist as long as it used to. Mileage is still good at 47 avg and sometimes closer to 50. After reading many threads, it seems that the 12v battery can drain the IMA battery or cause the system to need to regen to keep 12v voltage up, resulting in an IMA code when really the 12v battery is at fault. I see that a slightly larger 12v battery is a big improvement; my question is whether this voids the IMA warranty in any way? It does not seem that it would, but I felt it safer to ask if any have done this and experienced warranty hassles. Many thanks for such an informative forum!

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Welcome aboard. :)

Id start with a new 12 volt starter battery. You can use one as large as a group 51 which is common in the Civic. A low or bad starter battery causes a lot of issues. Sometimes the battery may even test as "good" can cause these issues.

While in the process wait 15 minutes while the battery is disconnected, then start the car up and let it idle for 15 minutes before driving.

The other codes you are mentioning are related to the ima or hybrid battery that is located behind the back seat in the trunk area. Thats not something easily serviceable and would need a trip to the dealer as its should still be under warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Warranty issue?

Cobb, any idea if upgrading to a 51 battery size would affect IMA warranty? Just being careful as the IMA components are still covered. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Group 51 is what Honda will put into the Gen 1 and I'd imagine the Gen 2 after the original 12v battery croaks. I have a Honda branded battery in my first 1st Gen car that the previous owner had gone to the dealer to put in. He also had the IMA battery replaced under warranty after that and it was no issue.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
No, it wont. I would say take it to a dealer, but once you pass 36 thousand miles or 3 years the starter battery would be something they would charge you for. I buy the platinum one from advance auto with 2 year warranty. 5 days after the warranty is up it died and I have to replace it. Ive had my car since May of 09.

The original battery lasted like 6 months. :mad:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
After replacing the battery (with anything you want) I would still visit a dealer to have the IMA software updates done.
While several folks around here have been charged for them, they are supposed to covered under the IMA warranty.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Right, the software updates are under the 8 year 80 thousand mile warranty.

garyldill, you can use the search feature to check the blink codes or use any odb2 reader. The scan gauge 2 doubles as an extra set of 4 digital gauges and an odb2 code reader and clearer. If the car is dead to the world you need some basic trouble shooting such as starter battery, grounds, fusable link, fuses, etc.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Well, we don't know where neurodoc4u lives so his warranty might be 10yr 150k (if one lives in a CARB state)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts