Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, three months ago I bought a 2000 Honda Insight MT with 73,000 miles. I drove it all the way from Vermont to Dallas, Texas, and it did great. When i got back, the battery died, it was 8 years old, so i replaced it with an optima yellow top.

Last week, when i was driving over a four day period, when i would come to a stop and auto-stop would engage, three separate times the car would fall out of autostop and the battery light and other indicators would come on. I pulled the key out, put it back in, and drove off fine.

Then, as I was driving down the street, my IMA battery drained to 0, and the whole car died as i coasted into a parking lot. As it was in the parking lot it had some strange symptoms; with the key in the on position, the dash lights would lightly flicker...as if the power was trying to make its way in, but there was a short somewhere. This flickering ceased, and i checked all fuses under the dash and the hood, all are good.

The in dash lights will work; however, only to a very small degree: Battery has power, car does not - YouTube

After some research on this wonderful forum, i inspected the four grounding straps, and found that the lowest one that connects to the transmission was broken in a way where it looked like it gradually lost its connection. I figured this was it. I replaced it to no avail.

I found another thread where someone said that their 100 amp fuse was causing strange systems where it would transfer some power under load, but when full load was put on it, it would fail. I pulled the fuse, and i have it on order and will be here in two days.

Upon further inspection, I checked the continuity between the black battery cable and the red battery cable, and it looked good. The cables have no rust and look good. I replaced my battery with a known good battery in a running vehicle as well, same problems.

I simply cannot get power to the vehicle, what do you guys think?

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Last week, when i was driving over a four day period, when i would come to a stop and auto-stop would engage, three separate times the car would fall out of autostop and the battery light and other indicators would come on. I pulled the key out, put it back in, and drove off fine.
This could be a symptom of a failing IMA battery pack, but it could also be caused by your 12 v. problem.

Upon further inspection, I checked the continuity between the black battery cable and the red battery cable, and it looked good. The cables have no rust and look good.
Others have reported internal corrosion on the 12 v. battery cables (the ground cable in particular if I recall correctly). They looked OK, but under high current conditions, they didn't conduct sufficient current (but continuity under low current conditions might be OK). If you haven't already done so, I suggest replacing the 12 v. battery ground cable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to also say that the man i bought it from, had the battery pack replaced at 65,000 miles, with the "Better Batteries"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have replaced the battery cables, and still have the same symptoms. Will my dash still light up if my hybrid battery is switched off and the 100 amp fuse out?

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
I can't remember exactly, but isn't there a fuse (under dash?) that sometimes goes bad without looking like it's bad, that can cause the weird dash/power problems? Anyone?

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you could explain more about the ima soc dropping to 0 we could get the ima part a 100 % ok, or was it tow home? but probably enough, sound like a recall because of a lost 12 volt battery connection. Ground straps also should be clean every year as oil could get between. What you could do it add another ground cable right on frame and to a available bolt on the engine next then move onward in trouble shooting, I alway add a ground strap the more the better in performance ground system. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Results

Hey everyone, I cleaned all the grounding connections, and when I did, I noticed something i overlooked. The grounding strap that goes from the negative battery terminal to the car's frame/firewall... was connected to the framing around the battery.

Along with the other lower grounding strap that was holding on for life with a few wires that finally severed, combined with my IMA battery problem which I will address shortly, it died. I put the grounding strap in its correct location and it fired up.

Upon further inspection, it was found that my IMA Battery fan had actually slipped off and fell down to the bottom of the tray area. I have since put it back on and lightly super glued it. When I drove the car from Vermont to Texas all was operational. When I drove it around in the Texas heat, it over heated on three separate occasions, presumably the fan was off then. When it did overheat, I let it sit.

Here are the current symptoms along with a video of it.

1. Car will not accurately gauge its SOC, it is either full, or empty. It will drop from full(or a few bars close to full) to empty and back again in 5-10 minutes of driving. I was only able to video the last half of it dropping: Honda Insight- SOC drop. - YouTube

2. Half of the time, when the car comes to a complete stop and autostop engages, the car falls out of auto-stop into ignition mode where all the lights are on, but the keys must be pulled, and put back in to restart the vehicle, and sounds like it is starting from the IMA, not the manual starter: Honda Insight Auto-Stop Death - YouTube

My guess is the battery pack is damaged, or at least the battery's that tell the computer what the SOC is.

What do you all think?

Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Bob, I've always been used to vehicles displaying a ses light to prompt me to read the codes. I received a blue tooth obdii scanner in the mail the other day, I'll give it a shot and post results tonight. Thanks for the prompt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have used the application 'torque' to read the codes, I have no prior pending or historic ECU codes; however, this does not include the IMA codes, right?

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
IMA codes will also be read. Very odd you have no codes yet some unusual activity. I watched your video's. I've never had that happen to me.

I'm still learning as I go. Hopefully someone with first hand experience with such a problem.

Have you verified all the grounds?

..Bob

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, to be thorough, I took off all grounds and put a wire Bush via a dremel to get them all shiny clean. One of them had significant white, corrosion buildup only visible once the strap was removed. I have drove my car around for about 30min so far, and it has not died yet, fingers crossed.

I am still having the problem with my SOC not reading correctly, either it's full, or its suddenly empty, then full again. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Maybe I missed something, and I don't want to read this thread again, but your SOC issues indicate that the battery is weak - unbalanced, whatever.

Starting from 'full', it discharges until the weakest cell/sub-pack pair becomes empty - and that's apparently very little. It negatively recals - drops to the bottom of gauge - then starts charging. It then takes very little to charge it back up until the fullest cells/sub-pack pair reaches the 'full' level - and the SOC positively recalibrates, jumping to the top. And if it takes less than about 650 mAh, 10% of nominal capacity, to go from empty to full, you get an IMA light...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just a quick thank you to everyone here that helped with OP's issue. It saved my ***!

Long story kinda shorter, I'm deployed overseas and let my brother borrow my 00 G1 with 333k on it for his internship in San Jose. It has the IMA bypassed but I know it shouldn't effect it but had me worried.

I get back from my shift and get all these texts from my brother the car went dead(no lights) won't jump, etc. I have a new battery in it. He had it towed to Firestone and they spent 3 hours trying to figure it out to no avail.

I instinctively told him to check the connections for looseness, corrosion, etc and not just on the battery but the grounds too. There were a coulple grounds needing work before I deployed but not the issue at hand. (Homework when I get home)

A quick search brought me here, reiterated to me to text him to check the firewall connection as well. Well that was it. He found the problem in 5 mins. Firestone was cool didn't charge him since he found the issue and even offered him a job.

A big thank you to everyone that helped, just wanted to say thanks you not only helped the OP but myself as well. I could have spent hundreds for Firestone to figure it out with unnecessary parts chasing the issue.

Pat

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts