Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I checked the 12v battery level (key in ACC ON, but engine off) and it read 11.5v "low". ( I also tried to check the ford focus battery , but it would not read that battery at all. :?: ) On the Insight, this is the original 12v battery. Honda dealership said 12v was fine back in December, but since then the car experienced stalling/ no start problems and the IMA battery and BCM-MCM have been replaced. Because there are 634 "12v Battery" postings (which I scanned) I would like to ask these questions:

1. Is 11.5 v at rest low enough for concern?
2. If it is too low, can the battery simply be recharged, or is replacement a better idea?
3. If replacement is the best plan, is the Civic battery the 12v of choice? Would an Autozone, Goodyear or WalMart 12V serve well?

I'm hoping this is something that can wait, especially since I do not want to visit the dealership again so soon after all this IMA replacement hoopla. And the car is running great now. However if driving w/ a low 12 volt would somehow compromise my new IMA battery or hurt some other crucial component, then I will do the right thing, right away.

Thank-you for your advice.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Replace the 12 volt battery, its due. Would you rather be stranded? You can purchase an aftermarket civic size battery for less than $40 installed if you look around.
Have them do a free check of the 'alternator' (DC-DC converter) It should put out approx 13.8 volts when charging

·
Registered
340 Posts
Kathleen,
I ended up getting an Odyssey, but in your case where you don't want to have to do any fooling around with anything, I'd probably opt for the original type battery as listed in the previous post and when you get it, go to an autoparts store to get it filled. It will probably cost a couple of bucks, but will be the same battery.
All you need is a 10mm wrench. From reading other previous posts, the civic battery will fit in the stock tray just fine. It is just bigger and heavier than the stock battery.
Robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.