Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went out to use my car. It appears that the 12-volt battery under the hood is dead. I cannot get any juice at all. It has been very hot here lately and the car is sitting outside. Can I take the battery out and put it on a trickle charger?? The car is almost 10 years old but I have not had any problems. There wasn't any indication that the 12-volt was dying. I tried to use the Honda website chat but they said they would get back to me. Same problem when I called the dealership. Anyone know if it is OK to charge the 12-volt or do they just die and need to be replaced??

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The 12 volt under hood battery is known to last about 4 years tops around here. You do not say how many of those 10 years you have owned this Insight, but if you do not know how old that battery is, I suggest replacing it.
Heat destroys batteries.

That battery does not usually actually start the car, the IMA battery does. However it is critical to the operation of that system. It runs all the electronics involved in the car. You may have a check engine or IMA malfunction light after replacing (or recharging) the battery. I would just drive it around for awhile before freaking out and spending a bunch of money at the dealer. (of course there are software updates only the dealer can do, so if never done...)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 12 volt under hood battery is known to last about 4 years tops around here. You do not say how many of those 10 years you have owned this Insight, but if you do not know how old that battery is, I suggest replacing it.
Heat destroys batteries.

That battery does not usually actually start the car, the IMA battery does. However it is critical to the operation of that system. It runs all the electronics involved in the car. You may have a check engine or IMA malfunction light after replacing (or recharging) the battery. I would just drive it around for awhile before freaking out and spending a bunch of money at the dealer. (of course there are software updates only the dealer can do, so if never done...)
Heat destroys batteries.

That battery does not usually actually start the car, the IMA battery does. However it is critical to the operation of that system. It runs all the electronics involved in the car. You may have a check engine or IMA malfunction light after replacing (or recharging) the battery. I would just drive it around for awhile before freaking out and spending
Heat destroys batteries.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As none of the experts at Honda replied back to me, I took the 12 volt out of my car and put it on a charger. It appeared to take the charge but when I put it back into the car this morning ---- nothing. I just wanted enough juice to get the car to where I could have another battery installed. I bought the car new and so the battery is 10 years old. I ended up buying an Interstate and car fired right up. Thanks for your reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
24momcat
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing